Quick question qt

Justmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cleaned out my qt with bleach. If I take water from my display and seed it with filter foam sitting in my display sump for a month , will that automatically cycle my qt?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will certainly speed up the cycle and might even make the cycle undetectable.

However, on a QT tank I'd always watch ammonia with a Seachem alert badge, and I'd always have a bottle of ammonia neutralizer on hand for emergency spot treatments.

OP
OP
J

Justmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's what I thought , how much live rock do you think for a 10 gallon qt, and then before copper treatments remove the live rock/ sand ?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's what I thought , how much live rock do you think for a 10 gallon qt, and then before copper treatments remove the live rock/ sand ?

Don't put live rock or sand in your QT. Using the seeded sponge will work just fine. You might still have to do frequent water changes for the first week or so. Keep the ammonia alert badge in the QT and do a water change as needed. Never use ammonia reducers if you plan to use copper. They don't mix well and can turn the copper toxic to the point of killing your fish.

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it like Mel. A properly set up QT wont really ever fully cycle, at least not like a main tank, which is why you need to keep an eye on ammonia. Frequent water changes.

OP
OP
J

Justmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again thank you kindly melypr1985. Decided to clean / bleach out the qt due to last case of flukes

Back