Radion G4 or a Kessil 360 for a 40 Gal. cube?

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just received a 40 gallon nuvo black for Christmas and was wondering what lighting would be best. I'm torn between the radion and the kessil. I'm only 16 and don't have a whole bunch on money to play with so I want to get this right the first time. My tank will mostly consist of SPS, LPS, and anemones. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you :)

DDanis60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my kessils! I've got two 360we's and a single 160we. Great lights without having to adjust much. Never tried a radion tho. They also have a very strong following.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to suggest the G4 XR15. Amazing light and you get so much better software than with Kessil. 399 vs 399 but with the Radion you're getting all the benefits of EcoSmart Live. Kessil doesn't have nearly the control (some here have sold that as a benefit) but it also lacks a lot of the useful tools such as scheduling, acclimation, etc.

You get all of that for free with the XR15. Kessil requires you buy their controller, another 100$. If you're spending 100$ you might as well buy a reeflink which will give you remote access on a computer or your phone as well as the possibility to use Ecotech's Vectra or Vortech product lines.

All that being said, both are great lights.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taggin' along here.
I'm thinking of getting AI prime hd on my Nuvo 40. Mostly Montis and LPS.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Kessils, however with a 24" wide tank I really think you are going to want 2 points of light source. that gets to be a lot of spread for any single LED fixture, unless you get into the larger more linear style. With thoughtful planning (aquascaping) I am sure you can pull it off just fine. OR you can look into 2 smaller fixtures, AI prime HD, kessil a160, xr15, etc etc. With regards to fixtures, the xr15 will put out tons of PAR, however you still have that whole spread issue. If it were mine I would give lots of thought to 2 a160 or 2 Prime HD. Other thing nice about the prime is they have built in controllers via your phone/tablet and WiFi which is sweet.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back