Radion G4 vs hydra 52 HD

jstew600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which light can cover more area? I plan to mount them about 12" above the water. Tank dims are 60"-36".

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way you're looking at it, it's a simple function of the lenses. For example, at 12" mounting height, 120º lenses will cover more space than 90º lenses. At the same time, two fixtures with 90º lenses will cover the same amount of space at 12" height. You can predict potential differences after that with watts. I could be mistaken, but I think "out of the box", both fixtures will cover the same space.

But that assessment is a little bare. I think you'll want to consider more factors such as the depth of space you want to light, performance of specific light fixtures (watts, lenses, emitters, etc), or specific lighting styles you want to achieve (spot, area, etc), etc, as well.

For example:
  • Do you care that one has the latest lens-style?
  • Do you care that one has more pucks?
  • Do you care that one is more upgradable?
  • Do you care that one has better software?
  • Do you care that a strip-format light might work better?
That list can go on, depending what you think is important.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope we see more companies working on the defect's of LED's lighting to make them better. The Phillips light is just the start.
LED companies making a t5 hybrid would be admitting that there was a problem with LED lights currently. :) There was a lot of effort to get T5 and MH bulbs that would work to grow corals. Would love to see LED manufacturers put in more effort to improve upon the current state of LED lighting.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope we see more companies working on the defect's of LED's lighting to make them better. The Phillips light is just the start.
LED companies making a t5 hybrid would be admitting that there was a problem with LED lights currently. :) There was a lot of effort to get T5 and MH bulbs that would work to grow corals. Would love to see LED manufacturers put in more effort to improve upon the current state of LED lighting.
I believe we all share the same sentiment.

OP
OP
jstew600

jstew600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The radion definitely looks like a wider coverage area. I'm still undecided if 2 of them turned sideways would cover 60" long. But I think 4 of them would be overkill....

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is a SPS keeper and made the adjustments using the club Par meter over a month's. He likes it.

Back