Radion XR30w Pro Gen 3 or 4? - SPS Dominant

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm downgrading to a Reefer 170. Wish I could keep my tank with my ATI Sunpower, but it just won't fit anywhere in my new place. I live in Las Vegas and unfortunately, due to the temperature in this house during summer, T5 and MH are completely out of the question. So LED's it is..

I've come down to wanting the Radion XR30w Pro. My only biggest gripe is, is the Gen 4 worth the extra buck?

I see plenty of used G3 Pro's going for $400-500 including the RMS mount, which is where I'm torn.. Do I save a couple of bucks? OR is the Gen 4 that much better that it's worth spending xtra?

My tank will be an SPS Dominant Reefer 170 (24x20x20). My aquascape will be 15"Lx11"W.
Its a quite flat surface and my Acro's will be solely on the rock, giving it a clean look.
What do you guys think?

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would do 2 xr15 so you can benefit from being able to spread them apart a bit more and reduce shadowing. I am not a radion user, but if the price is right I would not hesitate to run a gen 3. I have seen very nice tanks with the g3. However... why don't you just adjust your light schedule to later in the evening, say 8pm til 6am during the summer months. Still get a couple hours to check out the tank. Add a LED strip if you want to start your lights a bit earlier.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I misunderstood that your current t5 fixture is too big for the new tank. Correct?

OP
OP
H

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would do 2 xr15 so you can benefit from being able to spread them apart a bit more and reduce shadowing. I am not a radion user, but if the price is right I would not hesitate to run a gen 3. I have seen very nice tanks with the g3. However... why don't you just adjust your light schedule to later in the evening, say 8pm til 6am during the summer months. Still get a couple hours to check out the tank. Add a LED strip if you want to start your lights a bit earlier.

I guess I misunderstood that your current t5 fixture is too big for the new tank. Correct?

Yes, the Reefer 170 is 24" wide where as my current tank is 36" wide.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, well could do a 24" t5..... run the lights later. Anyway, I'd say give the used gen 3 a go. Can always re-sell it and go gen 4 if you really want. Keep the RMS mount.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able to hang or raise the light above your tank higher than the RMS arm mount. I would go with the generation 3.

If you are set on using the RMS arm mount, go with the generation 4.

The Gen 4 has a much better light spread/balance because of the new optic lens. The Gen 3, you'll have to raise a bit and upgrade the lens, to get a good spread. I currently run the Gen 3 with the RMS arm mount over a NUVO 20, but would love it to be higher after some experimentation with it.

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man get the Gen 4. Coverage is much better. I had and have both. Difference is huge. You wont be dissapointed. The gen 3 will work but go with Gen 4

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 4 on right Gen 3 on left you can see the difference

IMG_7558.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back