Radium ballast

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the icecap ballast for my 250w with 12k reeflux on my smaller tanks for a couple years. I have been contemplating making the switch to radiums with my current build, but the only experience I have with them was running 400w on hqi ballasts. I am willing to purchase another ballast if necessary, but would prefer to use one I already have. I understand electronic ballasts will output high blues with lower par, but I don't mind this. I'm really looking for quality color on my corals. The system will be a 30br, 36x18x12, with 1 250 MH and 4 t5 (2 actinic, 2 50/50).

Which ballast are those of you running? Which would you recommend? Can I hear input from those running radiums on icecap eballast?

Thanks,
SS

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're running 20K 250W Radiums on Coralvue eballasts. The color is really nice but sometimes it takes a while for them fire up.

Jack

SteveOhh

******* Coral Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my radiums on lumatek ballasts, before I switched to t5's. Fired the bulbs immediately.

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also been running 250 watt radiums on Icecap ballasts just fine.

I've also had the same experience alex mentioned. Mine had to do with firing both of them at the same time. Start One two minutes prior to the other and everything will be fine. Only issue with that is if the power goes out and comes back on it will pop your GFCI again.

Brandon

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
radium bulbs are made to run on pulse start magnetic ballast. they will run on electronic but this was not the original intension. i have been running radium for nearly 10 years now.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the icecap ballast also and have wanted to switch to the radium as well. I have never seen one in person and didn't know if the extra $$ was worth it. SS if you get these let me know. I'd like to come by and see your setup if thats possible.

OP
OP
ss7

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the icecap ballast also and have wanted to switch to the radium as well. I have never seen one in person and didn't know if the extra $$ was worth it. SS if you get these let me know. I'd like to come by and see your setup if thats possible.

Sure, I'll wait for you to get them to make my decision! :snicker:

SS

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back