OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salinity are you mixing too? I usually get 10-11 dkh at 1.026 with IO.

I'm getting 10dkh with reef crystals at 1.025. Even checked with two other people around me. Never even got close to that with regular instant ocean.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the main reason I switched away from reef crystals. Kh is too high. I'd stick with IO over RC.
I'm getting 10dkh with reef crystals at 1.025. Even checked with two other people around me. Never even got close to that with regular instant ocean.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the main reason I switched away from reef crystals. Kh is too high. I'd stick with IO over RC.

But I have no problem with the high alk. My concern was when I was using regular instant ocean I was getting really low ca "380" and I didn't like that. I also will be having higher nutrients which is why I like alk around 9.5. But thank you for your insight!

Last edited:

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are at 0 nitrates your corals will do better and bleach less if you kee your alk in the 7 range from what I've seen. And every brand of salt has a deficiency in one area or another. And it also varies bucket to bucket. I use the most expensive salt on the market and my last new bucket mg testing was 1100.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are at 0 nitrates your corals will do better and bleach less if you kee your alk in the 7 range from what I've seen. And every brand of salt has a deficiency in one area or another. And it also varies bucket to bucket. I use the most expensive salt on the market and my last new bucket mg testing was 1100.

I feel like your trying to teach me something I don't know Haha. Honestly, I really do appreciate the help. At this point I think this question turned is getting off topic and I already got the help I needed. Thank you everyone for all the help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, it is easy to boost the calcium in IO. I did that for more than 10 years. Magnesium too, until they change the recipe. it actually makes the salt cheaper to boost it if you use inexpensive materials and mix to the same salinity because the additives are cheaper than the mix (at least when I did it). :)

I never measured anything in the new salt mix, just added a fixed amount each batch.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, it is easy to boost the calcium in IO. I did that for more than 10 years. Magnesium too, until they change the recipe. it actually makes the salt cheaper to boost it if you use inexpensive materials and mix to the same salinity because the additives are cheaper than the mix (at least when I did it). :)

I never measured anything in the new salt mix, just added a fixed amount each batch.

Thank you for the tip!! I have read that others do that however it felt like it was a lot more work and one more thing to think about.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're doing pretty big water changes, I'm not sure why people are so scared of doing a water change with salt mix that's at higher alk than what's in the tank. When you dose you're putting in stuff that's *way* higher alk than the tank (albeit small quantities). I run my tank at around 8.5 dKH, do weekly 5% water changes with Red Sea Coral Pro (which mixes up around 10-11dKH), and have no problems.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're doing pretty big water changes, I'm not sure why people are so scared of doing a water change with salt mix that's at higher alk than what's in the tank. When you dose you're putting in stuff that's *way* higher alk than the tank (albeit small quantities). I run my tank at around 8.5 dKH, do weekly 5% water changes with Red Sea Coral Pro (which mixes up around 10-11dKH), and have no problems.

Well that's the thing. I have no problem at all. Originally the whole point to this convo was that when I switched salts. My calcium was rising but my alk wasn't. Turns out the sps were already absorbing. I'm currently dosing 20 ml of BRS two part and I'm back to stable water.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's the thing. I have no problem at all.

Sorry Denis, that was kind of a general comment about a number of posts I have seen - did not mean to make you think it was directed at you specifically.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back