Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Cemented rocks! Was it corraline?

Not sure, but I expect some was other types of calcerous organisms (tube worms, etc.) and sponges, etc. as it is in darker areas.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the tank off the stand and out of the living room.

I can vouch for one thing, this 120 is really well built! There were four plastic bulkheads on the bottom that I couldn't remove with the tank in place, and while trying to get the tank off the stand by myself, I managed to sheer three of them off and not hurt the tank. :D

And now I'm resting, and replaying in my head my wife's comment that I should have hired movers. 'There are 20 year olds to do this sort of stuff" :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally got the tank off the stand and out of the living room.

I can vouch for one thing, this 120 is really well built! There were four plastic bulkheads on the bottom that I couldn't remove with the tank in place, and while trying to get the tank off the stand by myself, I managed to sheer three of them off and not hurt the tank. :D

And now I'm resting, and replaying in my head my wife's comment that I should have hired movers. 'There are 20 year olds to do this sort of stuff" :D

HA! She was right...AGAIN! ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does she call you Randy or Dr. Randy? :p

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does she call you Randy or Dr. Randy? :p

Depends on her mood. Worst of all is Randall. That's when I know I'm really in trouble. :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on her mood. Worst of all is Randall. That's when I know I'm really in trouble. :D

HA! I can just imagine what you've done to be called that!

"RANDALL, you've been creating new prescription drugs again on my marble counter top!?"

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
Sorry to hear, hope you are back soon. It's a dark day in Reefing world when expert like you stop the hobby. The last time I stopped, I didn't start again 20 yrs later, hope you won't be out too long......

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

The folks who got the live rock in the Boston Reefers auction are picking it up today. I've never dug down into these rock filled refugia before, but there are loads of many different types of sponges down it it. Some encrusting covering up to about half a square foot, some globular (about 1/1oth inch up to about 1.5").

And As I expected, a TON of detritus (mud) on the bottom, which is potentially a substantial drawback of using rock filled refugia. :)

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that mud is possibly more of a benefit as it is now home and food for many more critters.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The combination of the fish loss last fall when I was away, coupled with some slowly creeping problems made it my best choice.

1. The foxface that died was keeping the caualerpa in check. It is out of control again.
2. The Chelmon marginalis that died was keeping aiptasia in check. Not a problem yet, but likely only a matter of time.
3. Vermitid snails have taken over. Thousands of them everywhere. Makes the nice coralline covered rock and glass turn brown with accumulated stuff on them.
4. The electricity cost is hard to justify for the way the tank currently looked.

So the choice was to invest big and fix the problems, or take it down. For various other reasons, I decided taking it down with the option to maybe restart sometime in the future was the best option. :)

Randy, sorry to hear this man. Sometimes it's good to start fresh! I just did it myself. Crazy strain of Bubble Algae. I popped the bubbles too. Yikes...went viral!!!

Best of luck to you and the new build!

I know there will be a new build!! he he..

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

One interesting bit of info from the take down...

I have used two LV-1201 float switches from Omega engineering for more than 20 years in this system.
http://www.omega.com/pptst/LV1100_1200.html

Both were underwater for several years, then one spent the rest of the time a couple of inches above the water while the other remained underwater.

The arm of these float switches is 316 stainless steel.

I could never seen them in the configuration I was using them, but now taking it all apart, I can.

Both looked perfect! No pitting or visible discoloration. Shiny and smooth (although the underwater one had a brownish coating of calcium carbonate which breaks off in chunks, leaving the shiny surface.

So my conclusion is that 316 stainless holds up perfectly well in reef applications, and while I cannot prove it, it seems unlikely to have leached anything problematic since it was exposed for 20 years with no apparent changes. :)

I'll start a separate thread...

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's impressive. So, will you be reusing them on your NEXT tank? :D

I'm being more careful with them than the PVC they are stuck into. :D

Mark Shelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The arm of these float switches is 316 stainless steel.

I could never seen them in the configuration I was using them, but now taking it all apart, I can.

Both looked perfect! No pitting or visible discoloration. Shiny and smooth (although the underwater one had a brownish coating of calcium carbonate which breaks off in chunks, leaving the shiny surface.

So my conclusion is that 316 stainless holds up perfectly well in reef applications, and while I cannot prove it, it seems unlikely to have leached anything problematic since it was exposed for 20 years with no apparent changes. :)

316 stainless is the best stainless steel to use above ground in coastal construction and in water level marine construction for corrosion resistance. While not the strongest material, it tends not to oxidize or discolor, but could if not cleaned (passivated) after machining. I remember old tanks (40 years ago) with stainless frames around the edges.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to your next build. I bet it won't take too long. Once reefing is in your blood, it's hard to get out.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my most recent electric bill is down more than $200 per month without the tank. $2500 per year not spent is some good compensation for not having a tank at the moment. :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 or 4 years x 200$ in savings a month = solar panel reef tank! :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back