OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never realized they used that much power. I might have to rethink my future plans....

If you use LEDs and/or do not need a lot of heat the way I did, it will cost less. :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To save money on electricity I don't use heaters. Instead I threw in some flame scallops, firefish, torch corals and fire coral. It works but hard to adjust.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To save money on electricity I don't use heaters. Instead I threw in some flame scallops, firefish, torch corals and fire coral. It works but hard to adjust.

I should have tried that instead of all those heaters! I did have a flame angel, but it wasn't enough.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know what you mean. That's why I took a bunch of money and bought these solar panels. Then I dragged them up on my roof and hooked them up. Now I have so much electricity I want to put up a big billboard on my roof. I don't know what it should say yet.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha. this hobby is expensive. No doubt about it.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Holmes-Farley,

About 18 months ago i've started my first sw tank. I'm use to read books, articles and talk with people to learn and that's what i've been doing. Only a while ago i've turn to the forums and i confess for the one with solid knowledge could be misleading and with a reef lead to a disaster.
I recently started reading your articles and i'm loving it! Please allow me to congratulate you for the acquired knowledge, expertise and effort to pass all that information, with no cost and with simple words, to the world.
Also from reading this thread i thank you for helping reenforcing my conviction that the healthy approach to reefing is KISS.

rgds and hope that some day you'll start a new tank.
AR

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Holmes-Farley,

About 18 months ago i've started my first sw tank. I'm use to read books, articles and talk with people to learn and that's what i've been doing. Only a while ago i've turn to the forums and i confess for the one with solid knowledge could be misleading and with a reef lead to a disaster.
I recently started reading your articles and i'm loving it! Please allow me to congratulate you for the acquired knowledge, expertise and effort to pass all that information, with no cost and with simple words, to the world.
Also from reading this thread i thank you for helping reenforcing my conviction that the healthy approach to reefing is KISS.

rgds and hope that some day you'll start a new tank.
AR

Thanks very much.

Happy Reefing!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just acclimated 18 bumblebee snails last night as a Hail Mary on my vermetid infested tank.

I've tried removing rock by rock and crushing them with little to show for my efforts. Much frustration.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just acclimated 18 bumblebee snails last night as a Hail Mary on my vermetid infested tank.

I've tried removing rock by rock and crushing them with little to show for my efforts. Much frustration.
So far they seem to be helping my cause, I am seeing a reduction.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

El_reverde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
Hello Randy,

I want to thank you for all the help and yeqrs of guidance you have provided us reefers.

And now, I am the one in a bit of a pickle as Dino flagellates has returned to my aquarium...my NO3/PO4 are both at 0.

I installed a UV Light and run it now 24/7, initially 10hrs and opposite of refugium lighting schedule. CUC

I already have purchased food grade sodium nitrate and Loudwolf sodium phosphate. I have read and reread, but I cannot for the life of me even dare to tinker with the correct ratio of mixing each. I want to be able to get a mixture of a gal or liter of each in order to dose everyday or as you advice. Btw, I am still dosing alk/cal daily.

Sorry for the lengthy fyi.

PLEASE help

Thanks a bunch

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,

I want to thank you for all the help and yeqrs of guidance you have provided us reefers.

And now, I am the one in a bit of a pickle as Dino flagellates has returned to my aquarium...my NO3/PO4 are both at 0.

I installed a UV Light and run it now 24/7, initially 10hrs and opposite of refugium lighting schedule. CUC

I already have purchased food grade sodium nitrate and Loudwolf sodium phosphate. I have read and reread, but I cannot for the life of me even dare to tinker with the correct ratio of mixing each. I want to be able to get a mixture of a gal or liter of each in order to dose everyday or as you advice. Btw, I am still dosing alk/cal daily.

Sorry for the lengthy fyi.

PLEASE help

Thanks a bunch

Thanks very much! I suggest starting a new thread for this dino discussion. :)

El_reverde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
Thanks for the heads up and please excuse my ignorance. What is the process to start a new thread?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back