Razorblade using algae scraper?

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried looking on the internet for an algae scraper that uses a razorblade, but have had no luck. I'd really like to have one, even if I have to make it.. anyone have a link or a DIY article on making one? If possible I'd like to make one that is sorta like the magical cleaning rod... skinny handle. It'd also be nice if the razorblade could be reliably fastened and replaced.

If y'all know about a retail version that uses razorblades.. that would be great too!

Thanks!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Kent Marine one for a while, which sports a thin metal blade. It does get bent easily, but its easily replaceable.

Sometimes I will just use an actual razor blade scraper on my tank if needed, and then just toss the blade. I use one I got from Lowe's which is all plastic, a Kobalt branded one.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blade from the paint department at Home Depot. It has a 3" blade, and a 5-pack of refills is only like 2 bucks. The only drawback is that it isn't on a long handle, so you'll have to get your hands wet

racerw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an easy blade that you can glue onto a mag float and absolutely love it.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an easy blade that you can glue onto a mag float and absolutely love it.

I use that as well and love it. I also one of the cleaning tools that was at my LFS. It has a long handle and you can exchange the ends on it- metal blade, plastic blade or scrub pad. Never had an issue with it. However, my favorite is still the easy blade attachment.

CJ

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use a plastic utility knife blade holder that I attached to a 24" long wood dowel.
I found it at home depot and the blades just slip in the end.
Been using a couple now for 10-12 years.

Back