RBTA strange behavior

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rbta has been in my tank about a month, has her own rock (now) and found a happy place... well two happy places... maybe?

Every day it hangs out on top of its rock flowing and enjoying the day. As the lights go down it walks six inches or so down, and hangs upside down in a cave and snuggles partially open in a nook. next day as the lights come on it starts the trip to the top again and hangs out there until lights dim.

my tank is a 40 breeder mixed reef that has been established for 2 or so years with hydra 26 lights...

does this seem normal? is mine just an oddball?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a BTA wander back and forth like that so I would say it's odd.

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rbta has been in my tank about a month, has her own rock (now) and found a happy place... well two happy places... maybe?

Every day it hangs out on top of its rock flowing and enjoying the day. As the lights go down it walks six inches or so down, and hangs upside down in a cave and snuggles partially open in a nook. next day as the lights come on it starts the trip to the top again and hangs out there until lights dim.

my tank is a 40 breeder mixed reef that has been established for 2 or so years with hydra 26 lights...

does this seem normal? is mine just an oddball?

My two Sherman Rose BTA's do this daily exact same behavior... same way for the nearly four years i've owned them

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine does the same every day. Nothing wrong, the BTA just prefers those areas for lighting/shelter. Mine use to wonder all over and killed/burned quite a few frags. I've since given mine a silverside once every other week and no more total tank wondering, he just goes up and down the back of the rock day/night.
FullSizeRender-4.jpg

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same, don't think it was the foot moving, just stretching out during the day vs shrinking down at night. I had two, one shrunk down and hung upside down under a rock; both happy and healthy.

OP
OP
Ebone

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah foot moving a long way... almost want to set up a camera to take pics all day to watch it... good to here some other have similar

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah foot moving a long way... almost want to set up a camera to take pics all day to watch it... good to here some other have similar
I would think he will eventually pick one spot and stay there. That's been my experience with BTAs.

LovaATang420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i know this is off topic but i have nooo idea what this RBTA is doing, been like this for a week and half its a large mass in the middle of it.
20170215_182105.jpg

MurphyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the nem staying expanded all the time or just time to time? If all the time it may have picked up a bacterial infection.

If just now and then then it is just stretching and pooping. Some nems will do this before splitting and also when they spawn - but only for an hour or so, not all the time.

LovaATang420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the nem staying expanded all the time or just time to time? If all the time it may have picked up a bacterial infection.

If just now and then then it is just stretching and pooping. Some nems will do this before splitting and also when they spawn - but only for an hour or so, not all the time.
Ive seen it closed up once and the mass was outside of it "fold" but ive only seen it closed that 1 time

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back