re-introducing a Bully Fish

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Lemon Peel Mimic Tang that i just recently caught after a 4 hour battle. I made the mistake by putting him in as my first fish because i fell in love with him at the LFS. Great fish. Eats like a pig, keeps algae at bay on the rocks, and uses every corner of my 120 gallon tank.

I then purchased a Starry Blenny which the tang harrased pretty badly for a few weeks but had gotten better. Just 3 days ago i introduced 5 new fish that were in QT 2 Clown Fish, 2 Pajama Cardinal Fish, and 1 Fire fish. As soon as they were put in the tank the Tang just went to town constantly terrorizing all the newcomers until he had all five in the back upper corner of the tank.

I made the decision to rid the Bully who know resides in a 20 Gallon QT (I'm sure he is not happy)

So here's the question:

If i have him out of the display tank for a certain amount of time, say 3-6 weeks and then re-introduce to the tank will the aggression subside because it will be new to him again, or does it not work that way. Keep in mind i will not be changing the aquascape because i have 25 corals glued to rocks that are thriving.

Some say it will work. Is this just a theory or has anyone had a personal experience from doing just that?

Having a tough time parting with my favorite fish.......

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x2.....I had a PBT that a removed numerous times and was fine most times, but it just wouldn't tolerate another tang.....

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a great topic. I wonder what other ideas are out there for dealing with this problem. #reefsquad

Tom Blevins

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not my picture but My old Demon,you want some of this.. man he was evil!
upload_2017-1-12_10-44-6.png

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked for me with a pbt. I caught him but didn't have anywhere to put him while i was waiting to make fish room in another tank. I ended up leaving him in the large trap for about 6 weeks in the tank i caught him from. When i finally went to move him to another tank he jumped out on me and back into the tank. He was pretty well behaved after so I guess it was successful.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back