Real sea water

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I live in england,Southport by Liverpool. I was just wondering if I can use real sea water in my tank rather than buying? I am 5 mins away from the coast so is easy enough.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi K8

I use NSW. I live near the beach south of sydney. The seawater here is pristein. How clean is your source?

If its good to go, its good to go;)

OP
OP
kenny80

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi K8

I use NSW. I live near the beach south of sydney. The seawater here is pristein. How clean is your source?

If its good to go, its good to go;)
I wouldn't call it pristine but the waters here are cooler and full of plankton and pods etc. Britain's coasts aren't known for corals.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call it pristine but the waters here are cooler and full of plankton and pods etc. Britain's coasts aren't known for corals.
The temp doesn't matter. If its poluted by sewage or shipping or the like, probably better making it.

If its clean theres no reason not to use it. Check salinity, no3, po4,

OP
OP
kenny80

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kenny80

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone from the UK use natural sea water? If so how have you found it?

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Great Barrier Reef exibit at Townsville Aquarium in Australia use seawater from the tidal Ross creek for water changes. This is a 2.6 million litre exibit. They originally used pristein off shore water delivered by barge. But it was too clean. So they started using Ross Creek water because it had nutrients. They also got rid of the sand filters, increased circulation & upped the calcium & alkalinity. Coral mortality fell from 70% to only 30%. I'll put up the link to the article next time I'm on my computer.

Diego Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems very reasonable. We keep seawater aquariums and so why not put natural seawater in them. It saves money too, no more buying those expensive buckets of a dry salt mix.
Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always heard natural sea waterm has silicates can some confirm.

It does to some extent, and that's probably a benefit, not a detriment. I dosed silicate for many years. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I live in england,Southport by Liverpool. I was just wondering if I can use real sea water in my tank rather than buying? I am 5 mins away from the coast so is easy enough.

You'll probably find it more of a pain than its benefits, but if the water seems clean, I'd use it.

I have clean water (albeit cold) not far from me and I have collected it a few times, primarily for the bacteria and other small life forms in it.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... I live near the coast and I have access to a boat... I may have to try mixing some natural water with my prepared water. It's probably too much trouble to do every time I do a water change. Interesting topic.

Peter Blue Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used NSW that I took from the reef in Hawaii. If I lived in Sydney I would do the same. If I lived in England I would get an RO/DI system and never consider using the water there. But feel free to experiment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back