Recommended starting out daily dosing of the BRS alkalinity/calcium 2 part

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that in the instructions for mixing of the 2 part alkalinity/calcium supplements, the recommended starting dosages per gallon is about 2x-3x more per gallon when using the prepackaged kits as opposed to the bulk packaged materials.

Are the bulk packaged materials more concentrated than the prepackaged kits of the 2 part alkalinity/calcium supplements?

Prepackaged kits:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instructions/article/Instructions-for-Prepackaged-Kits

Bulk packaged materials:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instructions/article/Instructions-for-Bulk-Packaged-Materials

Thanks for any info on this.

Allen

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that in the instructions for mixing of the 2 part alkalinity/calcium supplements, the recommended starting dosages per gallon is about 2x-3x more per gallon when using the prepackaged kits as opposed to the bulk packaged materials.

Are the bulk packaged materials more concentrated than the prepackaged kits of the 2 part alkalinity/calcium supplements?

Prepackaged kits:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instructions/article/Instructions-for-Prepackaged-Kits

Bulk packaged materials:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instructions/article/Instructions-for-Bulk-Packaged-Materials

Thanks for any info on this.

Allen

Good catch! That was an error on the site. They are the same concentration :) I will get that changed, but in the meantime I would suggest going with these recommendations:

Predominately LPS and soft corals
.1 mL/gallon

A few hard SPS corals or clams
.2 mL/gallon

Numerous full sized SPS
colonies and clams
.3 mL/gallon

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to test your alk and cal to see where it's at. If it's lower than your target numbers use the reef calculator on brs's site to figure out what your dosage amount is to get it to the target number. After you get it there test the following day (same time you tested the previous time) then use the calculator again. That number should be your daily consumption. Obviously keep testing for about a week to make sure they are rock solid.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @hybridazn said. Your starting dose is based on your tanks needs or requirements. It's not like adding aminos where you add so many millimeters per gallon or liter of volume.

OP
OP
A

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and advice.
I'm already dosing every day with Red Sea.
I've switched to the BRS supplements and I'm pretty sure the dosages will probably be different.
I'll probably start out at about 25ml of alkalinity and calcium and go from there.

I'll probably also dose 4 ml of the magnesium mix every day since its recommended to add 20oz of the magnesium every time a gallon of the 2 part has been dosed. That will be about the same time that it would go through a gallon of both of the 2 part mix.

(This is all based on my total of 100 gallons of salt water in my tank.)

Thanks again to everyone for the info and advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Allen

Milkmanskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go this route as well. Don't be like me. My LFS suggested B-Ionic to me and dose everyday. No test. No nothing. Who knows where my levels are at right now. The upside for me is I stopped once I learned that was a no no lol. Obviously, newbie problems here.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back