Red Sea NO3:POX4X Real Time Review.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Complete disrespect...

Not sure how that's the case, I often reply with the same wording as others. If my quote of his post referring to my response as "banter" does not deserve this same reply, then there is an inequality going on.

The thread was started speaking about an experience of nopox. It has turned into, "it doesn't matter, you can carbon dose with this" and "here's my results, I'm not the OP, nor is my subject matter concerning nopox".

I'm sorry, but when the topic of conversation has diverged from the original content, that's a thread becoming derailed. I suggested even in the face of being made fun of, make your own thread to solidify your "experiement" that doesn't conern nopox. That's polite and respectful to the OP.

I can only imagine how many others feel the same way, yet don't respond because they don't want to have to deal with the disrespect that I'm being subjected to.
But until the OP responds, I guess I'm done here. Please feel free to continue preaching opinion, though I would suggest it goes to the lounge or another thread if it doesn't have anything to do with the subject matter of 'real life experiences with nopox'. If you have anything to say to me, please feel free to message me, I will not receive your messages here as I will only check to see if the OP responds. :) I'm assuming a few will still bash me since they know I won't respond. This of course is poor form.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how that's the case, I often reply with the same wording as others. If my quote of his post referring to my response as "banter" does not deserve this same reply, then there is an inequality going on.

The thread was started speaking about an experience of nopox. It has turned into, "it doesn't matter, you can carbon dose with this" and "here's my results, I'm not the OP, nor is my subject matter concerning nopox".

I'm sorry, but when the topic of conversation has diverged from the original content, that's a thread becoming derailed. I suggested even in the face of being made fun of, make your own thread to solidify your "experiement" that doesn't conern nopox. That's polite and respectful to the OP.

I can only imagine how many others feel the same way, yet don't respond because they don't want to have to deal with the disrespect that I'm being subjected to.
But until the OP responds, I guess I'm done here. Please feel free to continue preaching opinion, though I would suggest it goes to the lounge or another thread if it doesn't have anything to do with the subject matter of 'real life experiences with nopox'. If you have anything to say to me, please feel free to message me, I will not receive your messages here as I will only check to see if the OP responds. :) I'm assuming a few will still bash me since they know I won't respond. This of course is poor form.

For reasons I've already made clear, this thread will continue with discussion of NOPOX and related products as long as members want it to (which they obviously do or they would not be posting to it). The OP hasn't participated for many months, and there is no reason to think that has anything to do with disrespect or recent divergences of the thread onto related topics long after he stopped posting. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates today >0.5 ppm Salifert, highest number was 5-10 ppm Salifert (hard to see color difference). During that period I did not stopped aminoacid dosing (RS Reef Energy). Yea, this is the question and I'm curious to find answer too. Definitely there will be follow up experiment :D.

Great, looking forward to it.

If, by chance, the nature of the organics used by reefers impacts the relative amount of N and P consumed, that would be very useful for folks to know. :)

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reasons I've already made clear, this thread will continue with discussion of NOPOX and related products as long as members want it to (which they obviously do or they would not be posting to it). The OP hasn't participated for many months, and there is no reason to think that has anything to do with disrespect or recent divergences of the thread onto related topics long after he stopped posting. :)

The OP may not have posted on this thread but he has been active on this forum within the last 2 weeks or so. I believe the thread has moved away from the original subject of nopox which is what got my attention and a lot of the posts are not directly about nopox but other treatments but hey just my opinion and not saying it's right or wrong either.

Paul

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP may not have posted on this thread but he has been active on this forum within the last 2 weeks or so. I believe the thread has moved away from the original subject of nopox which is what got my attention and a lot of the posts are not directly about nopox but other treatments but hey just my opinion and not saying it's right or wrong either.

Paul

Yes, I know. But there was no drift to the discussion and no posts whatsoever between the OP initial post in mid November and then January when someone asked for an update by the OP, so to blame things that happened in February and March for someone not posting in November, december and January seems rather misleading.

Last edited:

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I know. But there was no drift to the discussion and no posts whatsoever between the OP initial post in mid November and then January when someone asked for an update by the OP, so to blame things that happened in February and March for someone not posting in November, december and January seems rather misleading.

I am not blaming anyone just pointed out that the thread has moved away from the title of nopox which unless I have misread a number of posts is a fair summary.

I am not saying this is wrong as have been informed and entertained by the threads, experiments and conclusions along with some humour along the way by reefers who have far more knowledge and experience than I have or willI ever have as I do not have an appetite to experiment to test theory. That is not to say I do not want to learn more as I will become a better reefer for it but making my own treatments is not on the list.

I am however unsure of how I have misled anyone as OP has not posted on this thread for months but has posted on forum and the thread has moved away from nopox, IMO.

Paul

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not blaming anyone just pointed out that the thread has moved away from the title of nopox which unless I have misread a number of posts is a fair summary.

I am not saying this is wrong as have been informed and entertained by the threads, experiments and conclusions along with some humour along the way by reefers who have far more knowledge and experience than I have or willI ever have as I do not have an appetite to experiment to test theory. That is not to say I do not want to learn more as I will become a better reefer for it but making my own treatments is not on the list.

I am however unsure of how I have misled anyone as OP has not posted on this thread for months but has posted on forum and the thread has moved away from nopox, IMO.

Paul

I agree, but to clarify, I wasn't saying you were misleading people about anything above. I meant Kungpaoshizi's comments that disrespectful and "off topic" posts must be why the OP is no longer giving updates.

Anyway, let's all just focus on having an interesting discussion on NOPOX and how and why it works, and I'm sure most folks will be be happy. :)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any chance you can clean up and remove the bickering posts? Kinda hard to keep track of info with the argue junk breaking up the thread.

I was following along on the NOPOX experience as well as the homemade NOPOX experiences here........both are welcome, as I'm not sold that they perform the same. I was also interested in the amino effects on either.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can clean up and remove the bickering posts? Kinda hard to keep track of info with the argue junk breaking up the thread.

I was following along on the NOPOX experience as well as the homemade NOPOX experiences here........both are welcome, as I'm not sold that they perform the same. I was also interested in the amino effects on either.

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Just skip over them as best you can. :)

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In what way do you believe they work differently?

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. This is a great thread/topic let's keep it going.

I agree, but to clarify, I wasn't saying you were misleading people about anything above. I meant Kungpaoshizi's comments that disrespectful and "off topic" posts must be why the OP is no longer giving updates.

Anyway, let's all just focus on having an interesting discussion on NOPOX and how and why it works, and I'm sure most folks will be be happy. :)

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fair comment.

Nopox has definitely had a positive impact on my tank but it is also influenced by careful feeding to ensure I do not put too much into tank, regular water changes, flow from power heads and also how well the skinner is working. I wet skin but if the skimmer decides to overflow and misbehave I have to dial back to dry skim for a while and this has increased phosphate but only slightly.

Reef energy certainly seems to have helped coral growth in my tank although I have not stopped it to see if it has an adverse or neutral affect without it.

Paul

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair comment.

Nopox has definitely had a positive impact on my tank but it is also influenced by careful feeding to ensure I do not put too much into tank, regular water changes, flow from power heads and also how well the skinner is working. I wet skin but if the skimmer decides to overflow and misbehave I have to dial back to dry skim for a while and this has increased phosphate but only slightly.

Reef energy certainly seems to have helped coral growth in my tank although I have not stopped it to see if it has an adverse or neutral affect without it.

Paul

I would assume if you didn't feed more or enough you may see a negative effect if Reef Energy (I assume both a & b is in use) were to be stopped. Isn't dosing aminos, vitamin, etc the same as the zeo method or other ULNS methods? I'm not familiar with them. Seems Red Sea takes from that but don't they also suggest a higher alk (12dKH?) for hyper growth? Seems like if you hit those recommendations for nopox dosing to where you have to use reef energy and decide to try their hyper growth approach with alk elevated that would potentially burn some SPS? Maybe I have a misunderstanding here but seems like a conflicting approach.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, but the thought crossed my mind, what's the ratio of success of nopox to others? So I sat down and reread the entire thread. Seems about as many switched to nopox, as there are defending vinegar/vodka. Seems so far the hypothesis about diy nopox and nopox being the same leans to the incorrect direction. Cheers. (sorry if I missed anyone, pretty sure I got the meat of it)

jayslittleocean- caused stn with nopox, tank went to crap, too much too fast
adamnc-caused stn with vinegar, cut back dose things ok
myself-nopox
randy-vinegar
reefingwhiteford-nopox works amazing (used to dose vodka)
chukeer-nopox seems to be doing an awesome job- filter socks clog(switched from vodka+vinegar)
trio91-on the fence about it
zzzdiver-uses nopox, used to use zeo
pdiehm-had bad experience but restarted nopox
jason2459-uses vinegar, recently vodka+vinegar, also an ats
tim gentry- nopox working well
neverlost-uses nopox, hopes to get back to dsb when low
robertocrc-uses nopox, red sea complicated to get
td13-used nopox, brown spider web algae
tommyhere-nopox killed every coral (can't tell if sarcasm or user error)
omar jawad- uses nopox
mrblack60-nopox worked great but not results he wanted, biodenitofilter now that uses sulphur pellets
scardall-talks about a natural reef denitrator that uses methanol alcohol for food
itacan-uses gfo
potatocouch-uses nopox, been underdosing though
slicko-uses nopox? (mentions double the dose if it were his tank)
justjes45-thought about dosing nopox, now thinking about dosing vinegar+vodka, currently doses neither
pingzing47-uses nopox, very happy, takes time tho
biom-uses vodka+vinegar, had cyano, still has cyano, switched to acetic acid, phosphates rising and algae and cyano becoming worse, switched back to vv
scardall-uses nopox, no cyano
fishpalace-uses nopox, good results, happy with growth and color, happy with reef energy
ttabbal-used nopox found it worked well with no issues, switched to vinegar and now gets stringy pink stuff
anthony christian- uses nopox, works well, makes things easier
neptune1707-uses nopox been doing great
andylew-uses nopox, seems happy
john.m.cole3-manual removal, nutrient export, better husbandry (don't think he uses either nopox or vv)
dacianb-tried sugar, vodka, vinegar, never happy, now uses nopox and skimmer, no issues at all now
andylew-had HA issues, tried manual removal, snails, used nopox, haven't looked back
fffishy-dosing nopox for GHA issue, only dosed 14 days so far
petemichelle-uses nopox 3 years, supplements with gfo because cyano and phosphate imbalance, it was stable for years, trying chaeto?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather not be included in something out of context. So, I will say the best thing I've done for my tank is providing a carbon source. So far, it doesn't seem to really mater what the source is in the long run.

I first started off with a form of biopellet as they were just coming out. I tried a much cheaper alternative as at that time there was a single source for the pellets as marketed towards the aquarium hobby. I tried some shapelock pellets. I also implemented them as described in the Instant Ocean patent. (can google search Shapelock DIY N/P reducing Pellets or Nuking the tank... for more details.)

I had great results.

I just posted this in another thread

My first 55g tank. About 6 or so months in PO4 leaching out of the dry rock I started with.

Before getting into feeding bacteria with carbon sources
4062533a85871529c58e5bc4dff931bb.jpg

f6a63ef031172e62d68baa1a6952c308.jpg

cf1d9d58f0dcd1d361f9fdaeb12f2538.jpg

3137f62970a270ad3a317c86e274e49d.jpg

b10f3e45d1c53b354b2f84238cf871c8.jpg

A few months later after carbon dosing
cbdd36af58948b24b07fdc64991227b4.jpg

By the end of that experiment I switched over to Vinegar. Ran straight vinegar for around 5 years with no issues that weren't self induced. As stated earlier in the thread Nitrates remained below 5ppm and PO4 under .09 and regularly around .02-.08. No GFO usage.

Most recently I switched to vodka and vinegar purely out of curiosity. It was influenced mainly by another member of a forum, TMZ. I will also say Red Sea nopox was also somewhat of an influencing factor as I wanted to see if VV mix like in nopox would make any kind of difference.

In my tank as noted earlier I noticed my sand and rocks looked "whiter." Also, nitrates went below 1ppm and PO4 also reduced to staying under .04. Now, is that a good thing? Maybe and maybe not. Is it he VV or the very slight increase in carbon dosed per day or as Randy pointed out a "stronger" carbon source or both. I'm hitting the ULNS area which is not strictly defined but I don't like the idea of worrying about alkalinity and having it be more of an issue at those low nutrient levels as described by many SPS keepers.

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jason2459 I started low and increased to a certain dose and left it unchanged for a while. Have increased for past 4 weeks and seeing accelerated growth now and believe It is similar to zeo method.

I have also seen Red Sea recommending alk at a high level but have kept mine between a range of 9 and 10 and happy with this range. Feel uncomfortable at that level as if I get it wrong and goes higher I could kill a lot of coral so would rather be cautious and seems to be ok.

Paul

ttabbal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up shutting down the vinegar. I tried lowering the dose, but once that stuff gets going, it seems any carbon source keeps it growing. Most of it has broken down, so I plan to give it another week or two before I do anything else with carbon dosing.

I am getting an ATS started. Just need to mount the lights. I figure it's something to try while I wait for the rest of the junk to die off. I read about people using algae and carbon together, so perhaps I'll try that as well. I have some HA starting, but I also seem to have had snails spawn as I have what looks like a couple thousand tiny snails everywhere... So maybe they will eat it..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back