Red Sea Reefer Nano skimmer suggestions.

Ishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to change the skimmer in our Reefer Nano, We're currently using a BM curve 5 and also have a Reef Skim 300. The reef skim is too noisy and doesn't really pull much out and the curve 5 is quiet but doesn't pull much out. There are only two fish in the tank but 10 nems one of which is a greedy Ritteri but having said that they are all fed pretty well so we can't believe there simply isn't much to pull out. The curve 5 pulls out about 20mm in a week and its a very light tea colour. We can't get it to dry skim.
In the 525 we also have we are running a Deltec 1456 which is doing a superb job so was thinking maybe the 1351 for the Nano or would this seem a complete overkill?
Any suggestions and experiences on a similar set up would be welcome thanks.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you do water changes, my only suggestion is to ditch the skimmer altogether. Then sit back and watch your tank become amazing.

OP
OP
Ishy

Ishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain why you think our tank would be more amazing without a skimmer please.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with a nano tank if you do weekly water changes you dont need a skimmer. For bigger tanks it is too hard for most to do water changes weekly so the skimmer is helpful

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reefer Nano and run a Reef Octopus SS110 on it. I have my skimmate production rate set pretty low and only have to empty the cup maybe once a week.

OP
OP
Ishy

Ishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's for the replies, I ended up getting a Skimz and up to now I'm very impressed.

k5reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's exactly what is is, an SN 123, good price over here as well.
How did you fine tuned your SKIMZ SN 123? I have the same skimmer and tank as well but my skimz isn't skimming that much, I only get light tea colored skim

Back