Red Spots on Yellow tang/possible blindness

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my yellow tang for over a year now, currently been in a Reefer 250 since 1/1/16. I recently added more rock (two weeks ago) I pulled about 20lbs out of the 30lbs of live rock. I placed 10lbs in the sump plus I have a quart/two (whatever it comes in) of Marine pure spheres in the sump. I cycled the dry rock for a month, until all ammonia/nitrite was 0 then I started my re-aquascape. Everything was great, didn't lose any corals or fish, nothing seemed out of the norm. I then added a new skimmer early last week and noticed just a few days later there was a red spot on my tangs fin, that has now dissipated but more have popped up on his body. He appears to be swimming odd and acting funky, he just ate some seaweed but I just fed Rod's and it looked like he wanted to eat but couldn't really see.

The skimmer was used, but I cleaned it with hot water, it had sat dry for a month.

Could I have brought a disease in with the new skimmer? Or is it the tank changes?

I did several large water changes over the past month battling high nitrates and went from 30-40 to now .25. I've been carbon dosing NOPX to aid in this.

Thoughts?
Salt

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"This is a very common problem and just easiest to see on yellow tangs. The odds for recovery are pretty high. It usually just takes a LARGE water change with well aged and aerated saltwater to see improvement. It is always good to take a look at the frequency of feeding and the variety in the diet as well. Soaking the foods with vitamins, Selcon and garlic are also beneficial.
Virbrio species of bacteria are pretty much present in all marine aquaria. It can be just a matter of too much dissolved organics in the water to increase the population level. It is not transmitted from fish to fish. Each fish would get infected directly from bacteria in the water or food. Keep your foods in the freezer. A pwerful protien skimmer can help to.
Terry B"

got this from an article on reef central hope to helps!

and i hope I'm not breaking any laws by copying it lol

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"This is a very common problem and just easiest to see on yellow tangs. The odds for recovery are pretty high. It usually just takes a LARGE water change with well aged and aerated saltwater to see improvement. It is always good to take a look at the frequency of feeding and the variety in the diet as well. Soaking the foods with vitamins, Selcon and garlic are also beneficial.
Virbrio species of bacteria are pretty much present in all marine aquaria. It can be just a matter of too much dissolved organics in the water to increase the population level. It is not transmitted from fish to fish. Each fish would get infected directly from bacteria in the water or food. Keep your foods in the freezer. A pwerful protien skimmer can help to.
Terry B"

got this from an article on reef central hope to helps!

and i hope I'm not breaking any laws by copying it lol

Yea I saw that but I can't believe water quality is the issue... I've changed over 50 gallons this month.... It's only 68g total water volume. I'm preparing a 10gallon now.

I normally feed, pellets, Rod's, live black worms and purple seaweed sheets. He has stopped eating today, although he did nibble on the sea weed.

Salt

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add a tube anemone from a fellow reefer, not sure if something came in with that... it's an invert so I didn't dip it like I normally do with new corals. I've had the same fish for months.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture please? It may help. The redness is an issue for me and can indicate an infection.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture please? It may help. The redness is an issue for me and can indicate an infection.
4a9e9e6a4f977c31eeae4778ec1b4612.jpg

85d90fde3194d792ffeaa3960fa005fb.jpg

e9e4f4217b4a70f6890d78cd85fcf653.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible he could have gotten stung by something? Like that torch in the background there, or a nem? Does he hang out near anything like that or sleep near one?

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible he could have gotten stung by something? Like that torch in the background there, or a nem? Does he hang out near anything like that or sleep near one?

He's usually no where near the torches I guess he could have been stung be the new tube anemone but from what I've read some say they have no sting....

5b043ff48b1ad205e1b7ec7c9c9e4771.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's usually no where near the torches I guess he could have been stung be the new tube anemone but from what I've read some say they have no sting....

5b043ff48b1ad205e1b7ec7c9c9e4771.jpg

They do have a sting, it's just pretty puny. I'd be more suspicious of that torch than the tube nem. If you can get him to eat then I'd start soaking his food with vitamins like Vitachem or Selcon - as an example- event he nori he's eating. That would get you started... hopefully he can heal up on his own. But I dont like those red areas. Let's see what humble thinks.... I bet he's seen this more than I have.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do have a sting, it's just pretty puny. I'd be more suspicious of that torch than the tube nem. If you can get him to eat then I'd start soaking his food with vitamins like Vitachem or Selcon - as an example- event he nori he's eating. That would get you started... hopefully he can heal up on his own. But I dont like those red areas. Let's see what humble thinks.... I bet he's seen this more than I have.

Thanks!! yea just weird... :/, he seems to be doing better now, earlier he was twitching some, now he's swimming normal. The red spot originated on his side fin, then that went away and more came up.

Salt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have looked like this if stung, after seizures, or as a reaction to copper being increased too much

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck catching him tonight. :(. Hope that's a good sign at least .

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds/looks like acclimation stress to me. Scroll down here until you see "Acclimation Stress": http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/disease.html

Has salinity or another parameter fluctuated recently?

Salinity is down from 1.025 to 1.024 water is much cleaner that it has been due to the water changes I've been doing overr the past month. PH varies from 7.8-7.9. Alk 9.4
Mag 1350 calc 460. Nitrate .25-.5. Phos undetectable. I did run carbon for two weeks during the rock change. Just pulled this weekend.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 71 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back