redsea's 180 Gallon Reef

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, hello, hello!! :) I've been running my 125 gallon now for a bit over a year, and while things are okay, things could be a lot better-equipment/filtration wise. You may know that I tried to setup this tank as "cheaply" as I could (not much money at the time), which certainly does not work out in the long run. :hide: Therefore, I'm setting up a 180 gallon with a 75 gallon sump with some help from a LFS, so I can make sure it's done correctly. :) I'm really excited, and am planning to vlog (video blog) the entire process (in addition to writing about it in this thread). I currently have a Blue Hippo Tang, Salfin Tang, Bangaii Cardinal, and A Foxface Rabbitfish in the 125g at the moment. I am so ready to kick all this HOB equipment to the curb, especially my skimmer who likes to overflow itself. :p I hope you follow along in this journey! Here is the first vlog, which basically shows the barren-looking 125g and explains the process:

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely start the 180 with new sand. Looking forward to seeing it come together. Apologies if I missed it, but where is the custom tank and stand coming from? To be even nosier, which LFS is helping through the process? Good luck! I'll be following along for sure!

OP
OP
redsea01

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely start the 180 with new sand. Looking forward to seeing it come together. Apologies if I missed it, but where is the custom tank and stand coming from? To be even nosier, which LFS is helping through the process? Good luck! I'll be following along for sure!
Thanks for the tip on the sand! :) I have only had the 125g for a year, but I agree with you, I still think it should probably be replaced to avoid a nitrate explosion, right? AND HEY LOOK ITS SOMEONE FROM CT! NO WAY! CT REPPIN OVER HERE! haha, sorry got way too excited there. :) The tank and stand are coming from Wet Pets in Vernon. :) I've been going there for about 7 years, and really like the service there. I am so happy you will be following along, thanks! It should be fun!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 125 stand may be long enough but not wide enough and most likely not strong enough to use with the 180g. Definitely need a bigger, stronger stand ;) I also went from a 125 to 180.

Following!

OP
OP
redsea01

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 125 stand may be long enough but not wide enough and most likely not strong enough to use with the 180g. Definitely need a bigger, stronger stand ;) I also went from a 125 to 180.

Following!
Thank you so much for following, I appreciate it it! Oh yes, definitely a new stand is on the way! I'm excited, it's going to be white which I though would look cool and different. Never had a white stand before, but was always interested in the idea!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like white stands, mine is white but they can sometimes be difficult to keep clean. Kind of like having a white car lol. Glad you're getting a new stand. If you're putting the tank on a wood beam floor make sure the floor beams can handle the weight. Might need to shore them up.

OP
OP
redsea01

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like white stands, mine is white but they can sometimes be difficult to keep clean. Kind of like having a white car lol. Glad you're getting a new stand. If you're putting the tank on a wood beam floor make sure the floor beams can handle the weight. Might need to shore them up.
Oh yes, I wish fish tanks didn't weigh so much! Otherwise I would have them on the second floor. Imagine a 180g in the bedroom, how cool would that be to watch the tank before bed every night?!? To be safe I keep all my large tanks in the basement...that way I have no risk! :)

OP
OP
redsea01

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would indeed be pretty cool!
There used to be a show on TV called "Extreme Home Makeover," and I remember an episode where they basically built this crazy fish room for a kid. Like the bathroom and bedroom were just surrounded by Aquariums. It was pretty crazy and I hope the floor was reinforced, lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redsea01

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs look great. Congrats on the 180, looking forward to it!
Thank you so much, Paul. and thanks for the compliment on the Tangs! My fish are really the only impressive thing in the 125g, haha. It's been one struggle after another and therefore the tank doesn't look very nice...ex: no corals or great lighting. But trust me the water quality is good, lol! This new tank will hopefully look much better!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish look healthy, but shy ... you need to spend more time with them, maybe have some friends over or something, LOL!

Congratulations on the impending arrival of what is clearly a very exciting project! Here's hoping it comes together smoothly for you!!

~Bruce

OP
OP
redsea01

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish look healthy, but shy ... you need to spend more time with them, maybe have some friends over or something, LOL!

Congratulations on the impending arrival of what is clearly a very exciting project! Here's hoping it comes together smoothly for you!!

~Bruce
Hi Bruce! Sorry it took so long to respond, just saw your comment. Yes, they do seem quite shy, don't they? haha when someone moves around the tank they sometimes dart for the rocks...other times they don't care much, lol. I'm going to be getting them some new friends soon though!

OP
OP
redsea01

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So long time, no update!
So, the tank is here and everything is set up. The tank, sump, skimmer, fuge, filter socks, plumbing, everything! The fish are in the new 180g too, and am really loving it. We just have one little problem...the tank has a chip (kinda like a crack, eeeek) and the glass is a little off in one corner. :/ Good news though! I contacted the shop and the owner contacted Aqueon with pics and they are going to replace it. This is a brand new tank, and I was with the owner as we set it up (wasn't anything either of us caused). Unfortunately, we didn't notice the defects until the tank was fully set up. However, I'm thankful Aqueon is being good about replacing it...must have happened during shipping. I would post pics, but I'm not going to yet because everything has to be moved out and put back in, so things may end up looking different! It will be a lot more work, but it's worth it knowing that I will have a sound tank. :)

In other news, I've been thinking about stocking a lot lately. I really would like to add a couple more Tangs, but am a bit concerned about aggression. However, I often see tanks with multiple Tangs with no issue, but I know that not everything thing works for everyone all the time. I know this sounds absolutely insane, but I kinda want to add a Purple Tang and one other...maybe a Tomini? :eek: I know it's a big risk though. Would it help if I had the owner bring the new fish when we do the tank transfer so it's as if they are all being added at the same time? Anyways, nothing is set in stone, this is just a stream of consciousness from my mind, lol.

As always, thanks so much guys for following. I appreciate it so much! :)

OP
OP
redsea01

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG it has been so long! Sorry that I have gone so long without an update, I have been so busy with college lately. NEVER TAKE TWO ENGLISH CLASSES AT THE SAME TIME, TRUST ME! lol Anyway, I came to catch you up on my tank! I'll be way more active in the future, as the semester is coming to an end.
I have nothing but good news to share! :D As some of you knew, my original 180g had a very odd chip in it (I created a separate thread about it). The guy I bought the tank from was great and he replaced the tank for me. I am so thankful that went well. So now I have a new 180 without a chip in it. :)
As far as stocking goes, here is what is in the tank ATM:
Flurry Clownfish
Black Ice Snowflake Clown
Salfin Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Bangaii Cardinalfish
Foxface
AND THE NEWEST ADDITION....a Blonde Naso Tang! :) What a beauty he/she is!
The Clowns used to be in my 29g...long story why they are down in the 180g but they're happy there so it's fine! I'm going to post a picture or video in a second, hold on. :)

Back