Redtail Butterfly with one cloudy eye

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a couple of weeks now He has had one cloudy eye. The tank was treated with prazi recently. It never bothered him until today when He started flashing against a rock. I am guessing a bacterial infection. I have Furan-2 and Melafix on hand. I can easily run out and get something else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago was the prazi dosed? Did he start scratching against the rocks after the prazi or before? Can we see a picture of it? Lost one... can you put him in a QT for treatment? If it were me, I'd take him out for QT now and start dosing the Furan-2 until we have more information.

OP
OP
laga77

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi was dosed right after cloudiness first appeared. No reaction from the Butterfly or DragonWrasse and Jawfish in the tank. I can set up a HT tank tomorrow. This is the best I can do with the photo. Neither eye appears to be swollen. Other eye looks completly normal. LFS is 10 minutes away if there is a better product to use. Still swims and eats normally.

bf.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Did you dose the prazi because you knew there were flukes present or just as a prophylactic measure?

If flukes were present, then it makes sense for the eye/eyes to become cloudy from that. Once the prazi is complete, the eye should be able to heal itself. Feeding vitamins in the food should help that along. If you want to head it off, you can put him in QT and dose the tank with Kanaplex or nitrofuracin green powder.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back