Reef Buffers, pH - Seachem?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I've found is Aquavitro Balance. It will raise your pH a good amount but must be used daily. Even though it states it will not affect Alk, it will unless you do it a slightly different way then described. Simple solution is to take a cup of RO/DI water and dose your amount in there.

It is an unbelievably stupid claim and it a classic case of a big name manufacturer have zero understanding of their own products. :( :( :( :(

Of course it boosts alkalinity no matter how you dose it. It is exactly like limewater without the calcium.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but then why does it boost Alk less on the method I described and more when added directly from bottle to tank? I've tried it both ways.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but then why does it boost Alk less on the method I described and more when added directly from bottle to tank? I've tried it both ways.

I cannot think of any reason for other than a mistake in testing or waiting for it to mix in.

There's no uncertainty in the conclusion that added hydroxide boosts alkalinity by a fixed amount unless it causes precipitation of calcium/magnesium carbonate.

OP
OP
fishkeeper2

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added Seachem Reef Kalkwasser via drip and that raised the pH back to 8.26 without any issues.

I am definitely going to setup a macro algae sump for some nighttime photosynthesis. My pH drops .1 to .2 at night.

Ken Calnan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I thought. Chemically, not even sure how Seachem can state that the Marine Buffer product cannot overdosed.

What could one expect from overdosing on Marine Buffer? From what I understand it has low carbonates.
Idk for sure about Marine Buffer, I use Reef Buffer. I know they are different cuz imo the Marine one clouds my water for days and won't bring my PH up when I need it. But Reef Buffer doesn't cloud my tank for more then 15mins or so unless your parameters are wack then it will stay cloudy. But I like it cuz it works fast so fast you dont need much. And it states to stick to the dose chart but Reef Buffer 8.3 wont raise the PH past 8.3 no matter how much you use. Thats probably what they mean cuz traditional buffers if you mis calculate can raise the PH to super high and deadly ranges. You can always add too much of something to anything. They just mean you can't overdose in way of the hight it raises the PH. But I prefer to do as much without chemicals as possible. But I keep a Bottle of Prime, A bottle of Reef Buffer 8.3, and a bottle of Acid Buffer and a couple disease treatments on hand for emergencies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2Reef :)

FWIW, this is an old thread and the person you are replying to has not been on in 5 years.

That said, I have a few comments:

1. You might check out this extensive set of investigations. It appears Prime is not useful if your purpose for having it on hand relates to ammonia.

2. There are much better ways to raise pH than the buffers mentioned, and the risk of "deadly" pH changes is just not a concern, unless you way overdose. In general, no buffer is the best way to deal with low pH. High alkalinity is the typical result without solving the pH issue. There are better chemical and nonchemical means to raise pH.

3. The acid buffer (presumably to lower alkalinity, not for pH lowering) can be obtained in food grade from amazon, and you can avoid the expensive and not purity assured Seachem acid buffer:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back