Reefnjunkies 400 gallon inwall

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have not been spending as much time around here as I used to since joining a local club but wanted to start a tank thread here as well
clap.gif

I'll do a fast forward-I outgrew my 75 gallon in year plus and convinced the wife to do an inwall tank. Its always been a dream of mine and being she wanted the family room remodeled and the garage is the back side to one of the walls I knew it was a perfect time for the inwall with a section of the garage being a sort of "fish room"

I am sure I will have questions I want to bounce of the group here and am open to any and all input so please if you have a thought you want to share please post away.

I started planning this project about 4-5 months ago when and started by tearing down the 75 and moving everything into a 150 marineland I bought for the "transition" (got a screaming deal on the 150-it was brand new)

Here is the old 75 for the heck of it, you can see its a little crowded;
TrueRightFront75gallon.jpg

LeftFront75gallon.jpg

FTS75gallon.jpg

And here is the temporary transition tank-waiting to cycle:smile:;

Leftside.jpg

RightSide.jpg

FTS-1.jpg

I'll try and fast forward as much as possible and as quick as possible, but its still going to be a little bit of time, I want to do this right

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back and your tank looks awesome!

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old 75 looked great and I know with the new 150 it can only get better I'm sure you will fill up that extra realestate rather quick from the looks of it

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss the old 75. It made me feel normal with all my crowded corals! :) I'm confused though. I thought you already had a temporary tank up. Is this another one?

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back and your tank looks awesome!

Thanks, it was hard to tear it down but the big picture made the choice easy-I did loose my Strawberry Shortcake and a Carolina (sp?) but other than that the move went ok, I did it over the course of like a month

So thats where all the sexiness goes! =)

No no, all the sexy is in my 40 breeder, actually I think this does have a little sex in there, the Del Fuego, Orange Stick, Shortcake Milli, and the recent acans (which are starting to settle in a look SSSSSSSSSexy-:tongue:)

The old 75 looked great and I know with the new 150 it can only get better I'm sure you will fill up that extra realestate rather quick from the looks of it

Thanks, I think it was one of the nicer tanks I had seen, but then again, of course, I am bias :angel:
The pic of the 150 is when it was set up, I dug back and saw it was 2-7-11-that why I mentioned I was going to try and fast forward as quick as possible, I wanted to be able to show where it all started from-

I miss the old 75. It made me feel normal with all my crowded corals! :) I'm confused though. I thought you already had a temporary tank up. Is this another one?

I miss the 'ol girl myself :kiss: but some times you just gotta let go-

You are not confused, thats the same 150 that is currently FULL

Here is a shot of the 150 taken about 3 weeks or so ago-you cant even see all the corals I have temporarily glued down, some have started encrusting but for the most part removing them should be simple

IMG_2877-1.jpg

The left side of the tank in that pic is a 250 watt Radium, the right side is a DIY LED fixture I built. The new tank I plan to be using LED with possibly some T-12 Actinics

See what I mean when I said the 150 was getting full, and that picture is about 12 new frags ago:snicker:

The corals in this tank are really starting to color up, some corals took a few months to settle in and look the same.

I hate tearing it all down again but like before I need to look to the future, and the end product this time I hope will be stunning-

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
past pics update

This is the room/wall before;
Before4.jpg

demoed;
AfterPineWallsRemoved2.jpg

Cant pass up a glamour moment:tongue:;
BeforeFramingForFishTank2.jpg

worked on the framing;
AfterFramedForFishTank2.jpg

AfterFramedForFishTank3.jpg

Threw the stand together;
IMG_2867.jpg

Well then the wife got ticked off and said no more tank so I ended up with this look;

SheetRockFinished3.jpg

Little did she know what secets lay behind the wall (other than the heap of boxes);
IMG_2881.jpg

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you gonna move it elsewhere? Or is she gonna bend?

I was just funnin around, she did not kill the plans.

I need to remodel a good part of the garage as wall since its all original and the house was built in 57. I need to tear all the old sheet rock down (since its almost falling down anyway) and I am putting up an inner wall. Basiclly I am framing a wall in and taking about 1/3rd of the garage.

I ran a 6 gauge wire into the garage from the main panel which I added a double pole 50 amp breaker- The fish area will have its own subpanel that runs everything.

Here is a fast forward on the tank building progression to date;

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

Thats about where I am to date, I need to get the rear overflow box built and attached, and hopefully this weekend get the top glued on.

The list is still long but I like the DIY

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky you to have an understanding wife :wink: everything seems to be going well judgeing from the pics

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing you went with the 400. Your tank is stuffed with coral.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky you to have an understanding wife :wink:everything seems to be going well judgeing from the pics

She is as excited about as I am-we have been together just short of 20 yearsand when we 1st started dating and I had my 1st reef I always talked about howsomeday it would be sweet to have a big inwall tank-She is already telling mewhat she wants in her section of the tank-xenia of course. sorry but nothappening

I would be happy with your 150

Its gonna be tough taking it down as it was the 75 but the big picture ismaking it worth while its just not going to happen quite as quick as I thought.

I still need to decide on placement of pumps how I want to design the sump

Fuge, no fuge etc etc

I ruled out closed loop, which was one way I was going

I have a reeflo pump that can be either 2300GPH or 4400GPH by switching out the impeller type part. I plan initially on using the 2400 gph option and 2 returns into 1" sea swirls with the flow-increasing adaptor just to boost it a little. I am going to have a 4 way manifold off of the return in case I need or want to bump the return up to 4400GPH and add 2 more returns or"whatever"
I have 2-Tunzes 6100 and 2 6200 that push 3400 and5800 gph respectively, and then I have 2 MP 40's that max at 3000 GPH just incase, so I hope I am good with flow I hope

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good bro light will be there Monday!!!1smile1

Oh cant wait, I can add the 3 DIY that I put together for another 148 LED's giving me 270 total-I guess I might be able to sell that brand new 1hp chiller that has never seen water.
whistle.gif

I'll be getting or clubs par meter this weekend and I'll see what type of numbers that thing puts out-I'll post up the results here and in the LED section

I also plan to install a window AC unit in the garage/fish room but I will frame it in so it will be a permanent fixture-for the few days we get that are in the 90's/100's it'll be fine I hope. Originally I planned on MH and have a lot of equipment I have been buying over the last year, I guess I'll hang onto everything until next summer to be safe.

I started crunching the number of watts I would be gobbling up with a 1hp chiller, the pump to push water through it, 1500 watts of MH plus about 400 in T5, the whole LED thing sounded very apealing. I have a 60 bulb unit I built that I have over one half of the 150, it has been there for a few months now and the acros are doing great and the clams are happy.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been forever but things have been crazy busy and trying to sneak in time for the tank has been tough.

The tank itself has been done foe a few weeks and its a matter of getting the garage done know -Here it is sitting on its front and the rear overflow is what you see on the top. It still needs to be drilled for the bean animal overflow I will be using;
IMG_3028.jpg

I am working on the garge portion now that will be the "fish room"

Its not really a "fish room" but I plan to frame in a wall that will take up about 1/2 of my garage. You will walk out the door that presently goes into the garage (shwon in below pics) into a room (after the wall is built) that will house the tank, Q/T tank. Frag tank etc but still have my freezer and refer.

Some before and after;
IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

You see I also addied a sub-panel that will be for just the equipment related to the tanks etc

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

Last edited:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home reefnjunkie! Lookin' good!