Rescued Lionfish.... Need help setting up his home

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're in great hands with Lionfish Lair Gaines. This thread has me on edge, I'm hoping for the best outcome. Please keep us posted.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're in great hands with Lionfish Lair Gaines. This thread has me on edge, I'm hoping for the best outcome. Please keep us posted.
Oh I will. I am so nervous right now. Im already attached to this guy. He has such a personality. Swims right to the front of the tank and just looks at you. I think he is one of the most beautiful fish I have ever seen. I fill so lucky to have him..

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I go get more of the sea water or just use distilled water and salt crystals to mix up more water for water changes? Sorry for all the questions...

The experts are giving you great advice, but I also wanted to make sure we're clear on making your own sea water. You said "salt crystals," and I just wanted it to be understood that this is not table salt or any salt you would use on food. This needs to be salt specifically made to be used to make sea water....and therefore purchased at your lfs.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get him in the tank, can you take a couple of pictures? I want to get a closer look at his mouth. Put a lid over the tank of some description, because that's a small tank and if the ammonia climbs when you're not looking, he could easily jump. They are hardy fish, however, and he is a beauty, so let's hope we can get him through this unfortunate start.
IMG_4144.JPG IMG_4143.JPG IMG_4142.JPG IMG_4141.JPG

IMG_4140.JPG

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The experts are giving you great advice, but I also wanted to make sure we're clear on making your own sea water. You said "salt crystals," and I just wanted it to be understood that this is not table salt or any salt you would use on food. This needs to be salt specifically made to be used to make sea water....and therefore purchased at your lfs.
Lol Yes its made specifically for making sea water. Its Instant Ocean Sea Salt..

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks pretty good. What I was seeing in those top down shots, I'm not seeing in the new pics.

After we get this situation calmed down, we gotta talk about a bigger tank....

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks pretty good. What I was seeing in those top down shots, I'm not seeing in the new pics.

After we get this situation calmed down, we gotta talk about a bigger tank....
Oh I know a bigger tank is needed. I cant go much bigger because of restrictions where I live but I want to do whats best. hes already swimming around..

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the land of the preds, BTW. You have yourself a gorgeous king of the underwater jungle.
Thank you so much for all of your help. My son and I are super excited. Now to find a good source of live and frozen food(if I can get him to eat frozen) for him. Not planning on adding any fish because I know he will eat them. lol When the tank is cycled and well established would it be ok to add a chocolate chip starfish and some hermits to help clean up?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clean up crew that's not a shrimp can be added, but am a little wary about "regular" crabs. A hungry lion may go for a nice moving crab. I've never seen it, but I can't imagine mine not going for it. I did see a lion grab a hermit one time, but he spit it out immediately. It was the movement that excited him.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Scar is looking good. I checked the ammonia levels and they are somewhere between 0 and .25. Hes active and swims up to the front of the tank to say hi whenever I sit down. I think hes saying "feed me" so I'm not sure when I should try and get him to eat. Thanks again for everyone's help.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U probably will have to do a water change pretty soon on the tank. Ammonia should be at 0. Also, if you feed him, ammonia will go up as well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U probably will have to do a water change pretty soon on the tank. Ammonia should be at 0. Also, if you feed him, ammonia will go up as well.

agreed... though, that's not to say "don't feed him" because of that... it means to be ready with more water changes since feeding him will probably cause more ammonia. He should eat the healthiest food you can get him to eat every day. It's about putting on healthy weight and building up his immune system along with it.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that he should only be fed 2-3 times a week. Does that sound right?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that he should only be fed 2-3 times a week. Does that sound right?

I would listen to @Lionfish Lair on that one, but I would think if he's skinny you would want to feed him smallish meals daily to help him put on weight and build his immune system. If she says something different on that, take her advice over mine for sure! :)

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clean up crew that's not a shrimp can be added, but am a little wary about "regular" crabs. A hungry lion may go for a nice moving crab. I've never seen it, but I can't imagine mine not going for it. I did see a lion grab a hermit one time, but he spit it out immediately. It was the movement that excited him.
When should I attempt to feed Scar. Its been over a week since he has eaten. And what should I give him?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried about the parameters in the display and the addition of feeds. He's been hit with a lot and I guarantee you his gills already took a hit. How much water to do you have mixed and ready to roll?

What was he eating prior to you getting him? Is he eating frozen foods?

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried about the parameters in the display and the addition of feeds. He's been hit with a lot and I guarantee you his gills already took a hit. How much water to do you have mixed and ready to roll?

What was he eating prior to you getting him? Is he eating frozen foods?
5 gallons but can pick up another 5 of the ocean water before I feed him. I also have Prime to help with the ammonia. We never saw him eating the frozen (it was the tiny brian shrimp that the other fish were fed) and he ate one of the small pajama cardinals that was in the tank. I was going to try him on bigger frozen krill or silversides or live feeders.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get more water, my friend.

For live feeders, go with ghost shrimp or guppies. Avoid the rosie reds and the goldfish. You're not going to be able to feed him enough to make up for what he's been lacking. Don't worry about training him to frozen right now. If you see Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin-C at Petco, pick some up and start dosing his tank. They can't get calories and what not from the water, but they can take in vitamins and minerals from drinking the surrounding water and through absorption through the gills directly into the bloodstream.

Back