Rescued Lionfish.... Need help setting up his home

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's part of your CUC......an asterina starfish.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to remove the first one. That's an aiptasia. The second is a starfish with the common name of asterina (Aquilonastra sp.) You can keep that one.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to remove the first one. That's an aiptasia. The second is a starfish with the common name of asterina (Aquilonastra sp.) You can keep that one.

I knew you were going to get me as soon as I hit, "post." I said to myself, "How is Renee going to correct me?" So I need to get into my brain, Aquilonastra, aka Asterina! :D

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK cool Just need to figure out how to remove the aiptasia...

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You "remove" it by killing it in place. You've probably seen it quickly retracting. I use boiling tank water, but you can also use lemon/lime juice in a syringe. Some use kalk paste. They also make a commercial product....I think aiptasia X.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You "remove" it by killing it in place. You've probably seen it quickly retracting. I use boiling tank water, but you can also use lemon/lime juice in a syringe. Some use kalk paste. They also make a commercial product....I think aiptasia X.
These all sound scary to me. I'm so afraid of messing up the tank and hurting Scar.....

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew you were going to get me as soon as I hit, "post." I said to myself, "How is Renee going to correct me?" So I need to get into my brain, Aquilonastra, aka Asterina! :D

Bahahahaha! But you're not wrong! Asterina Starfish is a common name, so it's very correct in that context.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. All my local fish places are out of frozen krill as well as live ghost shrimp so I decided to pick up freeze dried krill. I was told that if Scar didn't eat the dried krill that I can take it back and get a full refund so I decided to give it a go. I'll wait until later this evening to try and feed him. I'm gonna try to get a video if I can.. I'll let y'all know how it goes..

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These all sound scary to me. I'm so afraid of messing up the tank and hurting Scar.....
Killing one nem with aptaisia x won't hurt Scar. Follow the directions on the bottle. If you wait until there are a hundred.... now that might be different. Get it out quick and kill any others that will pop up.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killing one nem with aptaisia x won't hurt Scar. Follow the directions on the bottle. If you wait until there are a hundred.... now that might be different. Get it out quick and kill any others that will pop up.
I'll have to see if I can find it around here. I'm sure I will have to order it. If I don't have coral do I still need to get rid of it. Just wondering

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you say he used to eat frozen?
We never saw him eat frozen. I'm just having trouble finding live feeders other than rosies or goldfish. Thought I would try the frozen but everyone seems to be out right now. I know Scar is hungry so I was hoping he would eat the freeze dried. BTW I went and purchased a piece of plexi glass and made a top for the tank so now I am not worried about him jumping out. Oh I checked the ammonia and it is still 0 ppm. Woot woot

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no mad hurry for the aiptasia stuff or you can use a home remedy like lemon juice, boiling water or vinegar in a syringe.

Is there an area that is uncovered for air exchange?

He may or may not go for the krill. They usually take a little training. SOMEtimes they'll take it right away, but not often.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no mad hurry for the aiptasia stuff or you can use a home remedy like lemon juice, boiling water or vinegar in a syringe.

Is there an area that is uncovered for air exchange?

He may or may not go for the krill. They usually take a little training. SOMEtimes they'll take it right away, but not often.
Yes, there is about 1-2 " gap at the back next to the filter. I cut the plexi with a utility knife so I only made straight cuts. lol Gonna have to figure out a way to cover the gap so when I get snails and hermits the snails wont crawl out...

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermits shouldn't crawl out. Some snails have a greater propensity for escaping than others, like nerites. Avoid those and you'll reduce the risk of your snails trying to Shawshank it. I use eggcrate which allows for maximum exchange and full coverage.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermits shouldn't crawl out. Some snails have a greater propensity for escaping than others, like nerites. Avoid those and you'll reduce the risk of your snails trying to Shawshank it. I use eggcrate which allows for maximum exchange and full coverage.
I was thinking bumblebee and a mexican turbo snail? Are they a good choice?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back