Resealing 180 glass tank

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

So my on my used 180, I am removing the inside seams and resealing the tank. All the structural seams look perfect except one that has this:
20170219_105558.jpg

What I'm wondering is if I should actually redo the structural silicone by taking apart the panes (which I really don't want to do) or if just redoing the ragged interior seams will be sufficient in this case?

What do ya'll think?

OP
OP
Labridaedicted

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just the inside....
Ok, I've already been working on stripping the sealant from inside between tiling and grouting. Ordered momentive rtv108 for sump baffles and reseal in the tank. Should I reinforce that corner with 1" glass strips? I've read in various places that that can be a good solution to a damaged seam, as well.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have always looked at it like this: When the tank was assembled, the silicone provided a one piece bond and inside seal at the joints. In my experience, new silicone does not really adhere well to older, cured silicone. When you strip out just the inner part of the seal, you now have a two piece seal, where the inner won't really bond with the structural silicone that is holding the tank together. With a 180, if it were mine, I would cut the thing apart - clean the old silicone off really, really well - and put it back together in the way it went together in the first place. This is probably just me though and I am sure there are differing opinions. Good luck with the project.

OP
OP
Labridaedicted

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any tips for removing the megaflows? I used guitar string down the sides, but the bottom is giving me trouble. It is flush to the bottom glass and I can't seem to get it loose. I also don't won't to put too much torque on the seam of the glass, so I don't want to just muscle it out

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back