restarting my system the sump is leaking any suggestions

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my restating the tank turned into a leak from the second sump module, with the return pumps.

Photo315.jpg

Not sure how i'm going to get out of this. Any suggestions.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is leaking or the bulkhead is leaking?

The tank, i checked both bulkhead , they where dry. I suspect the bottom joint, that's where the water first appeared but very discretely. At first i thought it was a splash i'd done , but i kept an eye on it and its grew into a small puddle around the bottom left. And went to the right side a few hours later.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to drain the sump, clean that section very well, cut out as much of the old silicon as possible and apply a new bead. Looks like a very tight section to work in though.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to drain the sump, clean that section very well, cut out as much of the old silicon as possible and apply a new bead. Looks like a very tight section to work in though.

Yes but i may have an ideal that was just given to me, if the manufacturer isn't covering the cost of the repair, i may just replace the section with a plastic bin that size. I know where they make some custom.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but i may have an ideal that was just given to me, if the manufacturer isn't covering the cost of the repair, i may just replace the section with a plastic bin that size. I know where they make some custom.
Excellent! I misread your post. I thought it was in the section of the 1st sump that feeds the return pump. Replacing that should be fairly easy. Good luck!

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! I misread your post. I thought it was in the section of the 1st sump that feeds the return pump. Replacing that should be fairly easy. Good luck!

I just spoke to a local plastict manufacturer here in Ottawa, and they can make me a sump in Polyethylene , extremely sturdy , i use one of their barrel for my RO water. The price is a bit steep, but to avoid disaster .........lol $ 800 about. repairing the sump wouldn't be enough for me i'd always would be at risk Again, lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke to a local plastict manufacturer here in Ottawa, and they can make me a sump in Polyethylene , extremely sturdy , i use one of their barrel for my RO water. The price is a bit steep, but to avoid disaster .........lol $ 800 about. repairing the sump wouldn't be enough for me i'd always would be at risk Again, lol.
That does seem awful high. Have you thought about having a custom box build out of acrylic? I'm sure a there are a few vendors on here that would build it for you at a much lower cost.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does seem awful high. Have you thought about having a custom box build out of acrylic? I'm sure a there are a few vendors on here that would build it for you at a much lower cost.

Well the thing is I've lived through a water disaster 67 gallons of my RO water in the condo and 2 adjacent ones. That was my fear with this sump design,which i know now is flawed. I want peace of mind, and acrylic, my buddy had his redone twice the same year so now i want a thermo-formed one; no seams and no worries.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh its an upgrade alright, but its just an estimate. he has to see the plans, and i suspect it wont be that much once he sees how simple it is.

I was thinking about some refinement i'll be able to do with a totally new sump.

-First it'll be in one part so their wont be a chance that a leak will spring from the bulkhead.

-Second no chance of leak since their wont be any seams anywhere, its one piece. Thermaformed polyethylene.

-Third it'll be less of an eye sore since the thing is white and we wont see the accumulation of gunk(still removing it at water change time) .

-In the new sump i'll reduce the height by one inch to give myself more room to remove my skimmer at cleaning time .

-i'll no longer will need styrofoam under the sump to protect it from the floor and give it equal support everywhere.

-I've modify the design to have my pipes come in directly into the socks, giving me more room for the skimmer and reactors.

Those are all new reasons ; safety , efficiency , and cleanliness of the new sump.

-Most of all peace of mind.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh its an upgrade alright, but its just an estimate. he has to see the plans, and i suspect it wont be that much once he sees how simple it is.

I was thinking about some refinement i'll be able to do with a totally new sump.

-First it'll be in one part so their wont be a chance that a leak will spring from the bulkhead.

-Second no chance of leak since their wont be any seams anywhere, its one piece. Thermaformed polyethylene.

-Third it'll be less of an eye sore since the thing is white and we wont see the accumulation of gunk(still removing it at water change time) .

-In the new sump i'll reduce the height by one inch to give myself more room to remove my skimmer at cleaning time .

-i'll no longer will need styrofoam under the sump to protect it from the floor and give it equal support everywhere.

-I've modify the design to have my pipes come in directly into the socks, giving me more room for the skimmer and reactors.

Those are all new reasons ; safety , efficiency , and cleanliness of the new sump.

-Most of all peace of mind.
I think that is a great idea. I thought you were only replacing the one section. The cost makes much more sense if it is for replacing the entire sump. I know I would much prefer a single tank sump instead of needing multiple sections.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it maybe expensive at first but how much security is too much when you have not only the water all 275G of it but also a full bio load to save, that's what i'm thinking down the road.....

hey i have a question Brew; how do you write your thread address in your signature . I've been trying for ever, can't figure that out. How do you make the link?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it maybe expensive at first but how much security is too much when you have not only the water all 275G of it but also a full bio load to save, that's what i'm thinking down the road.....

hey i have a question Brew; how do you write your thread address in your signature . I've been trying for ever, can't figure that out. How do you make the link?
Unfortunately, you won't have the ability to do that. It is a perk with being a supporting member.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-new-supporting-member-perks-support-r2r.68905/

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been ordered and i negotiated for a $549 price for a polyethylene sump 57"x18"x15" and all the trimmings . Its still a steep price but i no longer want things glued with silicone or glue. This thing is formed with heat and can only be damaged by chemicals. Its 1/3 inch thick too. For some it might seem an over kill but i live in a condo and a water disaster is NOT an option. So for me its peace of mind lol.

christiansumpdesign2-1.png

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i sold my stalactite sculpture. It was actually too big for my tank, because of the back wall, and i wanted to make another Tonga branch sculpture so there you have it. No more stalactite. I have to say that it didn't work as much as i thought it would.

Mainly because of its placement the amount of light was limited and not too many corals can live like that. So it was a disappointment over all. It was certainly cool looking but impractical in the end. I was sorry to let it go , it was my creation my baby lol.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great price on the sump IMHO. A 48" sump rarely goes that inexpensively on this side of the border.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7341.jpg

Well i'm almost there, i finished my sculpture, since i sold my stalactite i had to replace it the and i modified my second sculpture a bit. I've clean half the sand so i put it in the tank so it can dry properly. I'm waiting on my incredible expensive sump, but actually after looking sumps on the net, its not that much more expensive at $549 but i'll be in polyethylene, indestructible, i hope, lol I plugged the flood lights and voila!!!

IMG_7342.jpg

IMG_7340.jpg

IMG_7339.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7341.jpg

Well i'm almost there, i finished my sculpture, since i sold my stalactite i had to replace it the and i modified my second sculpture a bit. I've clean half the sand so i put it in the tank so it can dry properly. I'm waiting on my incredible expensive sump, but actually after looking sumps on the net, its not that much more expensive at $549 but i'll be in polyethylene, indestructible, i hope, lol I plugged the flood lights and voila!!!

IMG_7342.jpg

IMG_7340.jpg

IMG_7339.jpg
Looking great!
And you really did get a good deal on that sump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back