Returning to the hobby. New stuff out there?

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm using an old mag 5 return pump for a 58 gallon tank. Anything better out there? I have 4 feet height to overcome. I might also add a power head of some type. Saw something that looked like a flat bar across. Last question can I store salt in a cold - Midwest garage if it's in a sealed bag?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
Called a Gyre. Few different manufacturers
Yes.

Okay... That was brief, but you can do A LOT better than a Mag pump. They work, but add heat, and are incredibly inefficient.
There are lots of DC options out there that can move the same or more water than ANY Mag pump for usually 1/2 the wattage.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half the wattage would be good since I keep popping my GFI. I think with the Mag and over head I only get about 350 g/hr. If I added a stronger pump would I get a gurgling sound? Not sure if it's better to get a stronger pump or just add maybe a gyre? I have a couple soft corals

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking...(which means nothing so some and everything to others) slow flow through the sump is a good thing, with strong flow within the tank using a Gyre or powerheads.
If looking for a decent DC pump for the return, the Ecotech Vectra are good ones. There are also others out there.
The possibility of additional noise like gurgling is directly tied to how the water is leaving the tank and entering the sump. If implemented correctly, a basic overflow or some of the more advanced like a Bean Animal or Herbie type can be dead silent.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So I would be looking for a return pump rated for how many gallons/hour? 58 gallon tank with a sump.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look somewhere in the 350-450 GPH. Just make sure that numbers relatively close to that are head pressure adjusted. Look at the graph with whatever pump you are looking at to see where the GPH lands with the head pressure you mentioned.
A 450 GPH pump that can't handle any head pleasure would be worthless.
The cool thing with DC pumps is you can adjust the flow to your specific needs. Dialed down, lower flow and Watts used, and dialed up the more of both.
DC pumps usually have a "sweet spot" where the max flow and minimal wattage are at a good Ballance. DC pumps tend to have minimal flow gain relative to Watts used above that sweet spot.
In my experience, buying the cheapest pump to meet your needs rarely is a wise long term investment. A pump, especially one that is the heart of your filtration, need to be as reliable as possible. Nothing worse than having a return pump fail... It NEVER happens on a weekend when you are looking to go to the LFS anyway.. Usually a Holiday, or Sunday after the stores are closed.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for all that info. Looks like I'm going to pick up a new pump!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Jebao DCT pumps. Good value, $85.00, that won't break the bank. A DCT 6000 is @1056 to 1585 GPH, DC controllable. They are very quiet as well.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that way more than I need? Using the figure of 350-450 gph?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that way more than I need? Using the figure of 350-450 gph?
You're going to have a lot of head loss with your plumbing. I'm running a DCT 6000 on my 65G and it's not enough for me. I'm going to a RODC 5500 which is close to 1700 GPH.
There are smaller versions available, DCT 3000 is @ 1050 GPH wide open. That's what is great about DC pumps, you can adjust the flow to your needs. JMO
There are a couple of threads that have discussed return pumps, check them out for more info.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech pumps get my vote! I used to be in the business and I sold all of the "basic" aquaria dry goods and equipment. I have a Vectra M1 on my new 120 and I have never been as singularly impressed with anything else! .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back