Reviews of SB Reef Lights

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few posts up is my tank from the end of May. Here it is as of yesterday. Acros are gone due to aefw. Still firmly a SB Reef Lights Fan.

HmPrgeJ.jpg

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the prime wont cover as much as the 30 in and 32in SB.
SB also makes a 16in. I have that one.
Ok so I have a 40b and I need lights I know the 52nd will have showdowns on the edges sb I never really herd of how many watts per led and at 450 and ai at 599 what's the difference

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a 40b and I need lights I know the 52nd will have showdowns on the edges sb I never really herd of how many watts per led and at 450 and ai at 599 what's the difference
its not really about watts. esp because these all come with lenses to focus them and make them more intense.

honestly I don't know what the difference is. Name brand? features? I do know the both grow coral very well.

as far as shadowing goes. thats a part of coverage. a small lamp with a lens close to an object will not cover well. make i higher up and its better. add more lights at the same height and the coverage is even better still. and you can dim to control intensity on all of them.

this is also something to look at in the reefbreeders photon. long wide with lots of smaller lights so light comes in from all angels from the top not just one.

in my budget to get better coverage I chose more less expensive lights to get better coverage and dimmed them to the intensity I wanted.

on a 48in tank it seems to add up to 400 to 500 on the low end for great coverage. you could also consider 2 16in higher up too. I have three 12in on my 48in tank

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not really about watts. esp because these all come with lenses to focus them and make them more intense.

honestly I don't know what the difference is. Name brand? features? I do know the both grow coral very well.

as far as shadowing goes. thats a part of coverage. a small lamp with a lens close to an object will not cover well. make i higher up and its better. add more lights at the same height and the coverage is even better still. and you can dim to control intensity on all of them.

this is also something to look at in the reefbreeders photon. long wide with lots of smaller lights so light comes in from all angels from the top not just one.

in my budget to get better coverage I chose more less expensive lights to get better coverage and dimmed them to the intensity I wanted.

on a 48in tank it seems to add up to 400 to 500 on the low end for great coverage. you could also consider 2 16in higher up too. I have three 12in on my 48in tank
Yeah I might just get 2

His & Hers. 240 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120gal 2'x2'x4' sb 32 inch wifi 10 inches off tank lights were at ruffly

20%7-10 UV 5
30%10-11 UV 15
50%11-12 UV 20
60%12-5 UV 30
50%5-6 UV 20
30%6-7 UV 15
20%7-9 UV 5
9pm -7am 4% blue 4% UV no white

Does the 32" cover your 4' tank well with it 10" above the tank? I just ordered 2 for my 8' tank, and I'm trying to decide how high to attached my floating canopy above the tank on the wall.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1478402428.853905.jpg

Hey mike. How high would you mount this? I have 2 of your 32" wifiis still in the box. It's gonna be mainly LPS, maybe a stick or 2. It's an 8' tank. 240 gallon. Thanks for any advice anyone.

IME. As high as you can and still let the fans work.
You'll get the best spread.
You won't have any probs losing power.
Very powerful.

Fwiw. I used decorator lamp chain and split rings from Home Depot to hang it. Much easier. . And easy to adjust.

His & Hers. 240 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very powerful.

Fwiw. I used decorator lamp chain and split rings from Home Depot to hang it. Much easier. . And easy to adjust.

What do you mean by? "And still let the fans work"
The canopy has an open top if that's what your saying. And it will be bolted to the wall where ever I decide, chains aren't an option because the ceiling right there is angled with the roof. It's odd shaped and would detract from it. But knowing I won't run out of power the higher I go was my main concern. So that's good to know thanks.

His & Hers. 240 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very powerful.

IMG_1478517830.677193.jpg

You can see here how the ceiling is. Would just be odd hanging from that. So I won't have adjustability. It's pretty much one and done since I'll also be cutting holes in the wall behind the canopy to pull the power cords down in between the studs. No cords will be showing.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by? "And still let the fans work"
The canopy has an open top if that's what your saying. And it will be bolted to the wall where ever I decide, chains aren't an option because the ceiling right there is angled with the roof. It's odd shaped and would detract from it. But knowing I won't run out of power the higher I go was my main concern. So that's good to know thanks.
Ah. Got it. My canopy has a top to cut light spill. I was suggestiong using links in the canopy. Like d rings and the chain for length. I can adjust the light in minutes. And take it out in like two.
But yea you'll have plenty of power. Mine is at 12in in and I'm at 70 wit half the lenses pulled an I'm growing acros.
If you don't have a par meter I would seriously look into a lux meter.
I would guess at full power at you height you'd be in the 50 to 70,000 lux range. With lenses. That's a lot of light.
And you'll know how much and what you can grow.

His & Hers. 240 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Got it. My canopy has a top to cut light spill. I was suggestiong using links in the canopy. Like d rings and the chain for length. I can adjust the light in minutes. And take it out in like two.
But yea you'll have plenty of power. Mine is at 12in in and I'm at 70 wit half the lenses pulled an I'm growing acros.
If you don't have a par meter I would seriously look into a lux meter.
I would guess at full power at you height you'd be in the 50 to 70,000 lux range. With lenses. That's a lot of light.
And you'll know how much and what you can grow.

Yeah I don't have a par meter. Just to pricey. Maybe I should look into a lux meter huh? Thanks for the help

troiusmaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been hanging over my tank for almost 4 days. I like it so far. Wait I so see if it has any effect on coloration and areas where shading has caused polyps to recede. If I look hard enough I think I see some difference already.

ReefNAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if the SB retro boards that are available work in a Reef Breeder Photon 16? Will the retro still be able to ramp up and down as well as be controlled with the unit already on the Photon 16? Ive tried to contact SB via email and phone and still no response to my question after little over a week.

Thank you!

BIg Whisky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my 32" Timer Pro a week ago. It should be here soon. Got an email today saying that it is in L.A. awaiting clearance with Customs. Can't wait for it to get here. I'm curious as to how low I'm going to have to set it, percentage-wise. My wife is pretty dead set against me hanging it. She wants me to use the mounting brackets so that it sits on the tank, prob about 8" above the surface. My tank is a standard 75 gal. 48"x18"x21". I'm hoping that I get decent coverage at that height.

Also, I have a glass lid on the tank and the tank also has a glass middle brace. wondering how much the lid/brace will dampen the intensity, if at all?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my 32" Timer Pro a week ago. It should be here soon. Got an email today saying that it is in L.A. awaiting clearance with Customs. Can't wait for it to get here. I'm curious as to how low I'm going to have to set it, percentage-wise. My wife is pretty dead set against me hanging it. She wants me to use the mounting brackets so that it sits on the tank, prob about 8" above the surface. My tank is a standard 75 gal. 48"x18"x21". I'm hoping that I get decent coverage at that height.

Also, I have a glass lid on the tank and the tank also has a glass middle brace. wondering how much the lid/brace will dampen the intensity, if at all?
Grab a lux meter. And consider pulling the lenses. I did a floating canopy. With IKEA parts actually.
I'm with the mrs. I hate seeing the light.
You'll have no prob with intensity. It's bloody bright. It's the spread at the distance.

LSDcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh... I can't wait to place my order in a few weeks. I had been looking at SB for the last couple of days. Really appreciated the research done with peak growth and trigger points applied to the to the unit. Glad I found this review too.

Back