Rhinopias arrived

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool, perfectly attuned/evolved to its environ . Us humans can't come close ! Who is more intelligent ?

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics from tonight. I think these are more balanced to his true color. I used an orange gel filter to block out the blue.

IMG_1481251190.504247.jpg

IMG_1481251200.755265.jpg

IMG_1481251209.587755.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's so beautiful! I love having a rhino friend. I would get a frondosa to put in there. Better yet, you could send that my way to put with mine! Yes, that's indeed a good plan!

My guy turned 3 years last month, which is nice, as we've been told they're short lived around the 2 year mark.

It looks like the "bag rub" on his lip is healing up. I would dose with some vitamin C to help that heal up.

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again very beautiful & cool fish ! Please tell us more about it.

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he's doing great, but he's on my crap list big time today. I added a $400 Labout's Fairy Wrasse two days ago. It was 3.5", which is about an inch shy of Rick Ross' length.

Enlight1.jpg

Enlight1.jpg

It appears that he ate it yesterday. He refused food from me two nights ago, then ate a $400 meal the next day. I have the tiniest bit of hope that the wrasse just decided to hide really well, but it was already eating and didn't show up for dinner last night. I searched the tank with a flashlight, to no avail. Rick's belly also appears full.

Rick really is wonderful. He is the most social fish ever. As you walk down the tank, he hops along following you. If you kneel down, he turns his body and puts one eye on the glass to see you well. He'll swim up the glass to get your attention if you're across the room. When I'm in the tank working, he just stays put and doesn't run to or from my hand. He's really a great fish.

The issue is compatibility. If a fish is too aggressive, he's not a fit, as Rick will be easy to pick on. If a fish is medium or small, it's not a fit because he can apparently eat a fish as long as he is. If a fish is big enough to not get eaten, it's probably too big for my 100 gallon DT.

I got a big Tusk, but it was too big for the tank. I've been able to put a Fuzzy dwarf lion in, which is adorable, and it seems is just big enough. I'm at a loss for what to add after that. This Labout's appears to be an expensive mistake.

If anyone has suggestions for tank mates, I'm all ears. Rick is about 4.5".

Enlight1.jpg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd share a couple of pics of my new rhinopias in my QT. It looks like a sea monster guarding the pirate ship.

IMG_1479489372.520303.jpg

IMG_1479489381.440577.jpg

Still trying to decide what to name him. He's super chill and not spooked by anything. He also ate a packaged silverside within 18 hours of arrival.

Thinking about:
Rick Ross, because he's boss
Honey Badger, because he just doesn't give a sh**
Billy, because he's Billy Bad A**

Any votes?
How about mr . Floppydopadus

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick shed his outer layer today, so he's gone from "too much time in the tanning bed" to "fabulous". Honestly, he's probably feeling extra fabulous after his $400 meal.

Enlight1.jpg

Enlight1.jpg

Rick Ross selfie. #IAteA$400Labouts
Enlight1.jpg

Honestly though. There's almost a grand in this guy. Literally.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! They usually look amazing after a molt. Be careful with that wrasse. That's a perfect slurpable size for him. Be careful with the fuzzy as well, the rhino's mouth is pretty big. His lip is healing nicely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! They usually look amazing after a molt. Be careful with that wrasse. That's a perfect slurpable size for him. Be careful with the fuzzy as well, the rhino's mouth is pretty big. His lip is healing nicely.

He already ate the wrasse. Turned down a silverside, then ate that dude about 12 hours later. I thought it was big enough, but I was mistaken.

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.O *blush* *BLUSH* Sorry to hear that. I totally missed it. He was so pretty I rushed to post.

No worries. I was heart broken yesterday. I've come to grips with it today. Just burning money on fish instead of coral.

It's going to change my tank stocking strategy though. I'm thinking boxy fish are a better bet. A longnose butterflyfish and an emperator angel will probably be the next editions. When the emperator gets too big, he can go in my parent's 500 gallon I'm about to build for them. A porcupine puffer has also crossed my mind.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back