Rhomboid not eating

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a male golden rhomboid on QT for over a week now and I'm having issues getting it to eat. The fish isn't very active and stays hidden most of the time, he has for through two rounds of PraziPro and I'm on the fence of whether or not to use copper (Copper Safe.) But getting him to eat is step one. I have tried LRS Reef Frenzy, LRS Fertility Mix, Rod's Reef Mix, Rod's Plankton, PE Mysis, LRS Fish Eggs, Rods Fish Eggs, and multiple different pellets of which he shows no interest. I'm waiting on my LFS to get some live brine in and I'm considering ordering live black worms. Is there anything else worth trying out there?

@evolved @ReefFrenzy @4FordFamily @Aquaph8 @eatbreakfast

Here's a bad pic from a few days ago.

20170109_212002.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to avoid garlic but I may have to try.
It's worth a try to get the fish eating.

Live brine and live blackworms is all I can think to add. Cryptic behavior can occasionally be a sign of velvet and the only way you'll know on a wrasse is often discoloration (pale) but that's also just normal stress colors -- so if you're not really familiar with fairy wrasse and what is normal and what isn't it can be very tough to tell the difference.

Is the praziquantel out of the water column now? It's presence can suppress appetite. How long has it been since the fish ate? It sounds like it's been a long time, and that doesn't bode well im afraid :(

I would say those live foods may be your only shot, assuming your water parameters are all in check.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I last dosed the Prazi on Wednesday evening and I'll be doing a water change on the tank tomorrow. He eats just very little and isn't as aggressive as I would like to see and it's starting to come out more often and will stay out when I'm around which it would do in the beginning. And I've noticed it flash against the bottom a few times but haven't noticed it swimming into the flow which fish with velvet often do. It's colors have improved in the time I've had it I obviously don't want to completely rule velvet out but don't (and hope) think it's an issue. I've considered adding another fish into the QT (obviously starting over) to possibly help with socialization, I've read of others having the same type issues when wrasses are alone. Could just be the fishes personality I'm just used to seeing more aggressiveness 1st feeding time.

I'll try garlic tomorrow, order some worms and get some brine once my LFS has them.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I last dosed the Prazi on Wednesday evening and I'll be doing a water change on the tank tomorrow. He eats just very little and isn't as aggressive as I would like to see and it's starting to come out more often and will stay out when I'm around which it would do in the beginning. And I've noticed it flash against the bottom a few times but haven't noticed it swimming into the flow which fish with velvet often do. It's colors have improved in the time I've had it I obviously don't want to completely rule velvet out but don't (and hope) think it's an issue. I've considered adding another fish into the QT (obviously starting over) to possibly help with socialization, I've read of others having the same type issues when wrasses are alone. Could just be the fishes personality I'm just used to seeing more aggressiveness 1st feeding time.

I'll try garlic tomorrow, order some worms and get some brine once my LFS has them.

The flashing suggests ich or velvet IMO, since it has been through praziquantel. This worries me.

I've never seen wrasse swim in to powerheads with velvet, that is typically tangs. I've not seen anything else doing this besides maybe an angel once or maybe a foxface.

It's true a more bold (but not aggressive) wrasse tankmate may embolden your rhomboid a bit but with what you have going on potentially I wouldn't add anything, personally.

Keep us posted tomorrow!

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only seen it flash twice and was immidiately after dosing the Prazi, not sure of any connection but it's worth noting. It was at the second dose.

Good to know that swimming into the flow isn't something to look for with wrasses.

I usually like to QT multiple fish at a time but the Rhomboid became available and I couldn't pass it up.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you have tried everything under the sun as far as frozen foods. Have you tried getting a fresh clam from the super market, freezing it and then shaving off some small pieces? It might be worth a try. You are actually the first person I have heard from which could not get a fish to eat using our Fish Eggs. The natural juices in the egg sac have a huge attractant property. I hope he comes around for you.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place small meaty foods, such as fish eggs, brine, or small mysis in an area of high flow. This will kick the food around and elicit a 'chase' response.

The hiding is normal for it being the only fish in the tank.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried LRS Fish Eggs again and he didn't even attempt to come out of hiding. Also tried garlic to no avail. So I've got some live black worms on order and they will be here Thursday so Wednesday after work I'm going to my LFS to get some live brine and give those a shot. Hoping one does tyre trick.

Any idea how long he can go without eating? Should I try to dim the lights?
I've never really had this issue before especially with a higher dollar fish.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no interest in eating tonight, fed a mix of LRS Reef Frenzy, Rods Plankton and Cyclops with garlic and Selcon. I squirted it out right by the Hydor powerhead that is in the tank and he wouldn't come out off hiding. I'm starting to think it's not going to make it, doesn't do anything besides hide he was much more active in the holding tank when I picked him up but there were also plenty of other fish with him. I'm going to put a little cover over the light (cheap LED black box that only half works) to see if that calms him at all. Really at a loss off what to do hope I can get worms and brine in time and that it helps if it doesn't I feel like it's the end for him.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tricky situation for sure; I'm afraid I don't have much to add. You've done or plan to do everything I would have suggested. :(

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back