Ricwilli's 215 upgrade

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone doing? I've been working on this upgrade for the past few months and still not done. This is a "baby steps" upgrade, so I'm sure some of you will get tired of waiting for updates. I'm posting pics of what I have done so far. LOTS OF PICS.......

This is the drawing plan that I started out with.

210Design-2.jpg

This is how I would like my sump area to look like.

SumpLayout.jpg

Here is my 215 Gallon Oceanic tank with Starfire front pane surrounded by junk.

210Tank.jpg

Here is a 100 gallon tub filled with over 200lbs of Marco rock. The skimmer is a Royal Exclusive Vertex Alpha 250.

SkimmerRock.jpg

For lighting, I have the 72" Aquatinics Constallation.

72inAquactinics.jpg

So I started with the sump stand and this is what I got done.

Stand.jpg

StandShelf.jpg

This is a 65 Gallon sump made by Melev.

StandShelfSump.jpg

StandShelfSump2.jpg

The manifold set in place but not glued.

Manifold.jpg

Manifold with True Union Valves

ManifoldValve.jpg

My sump has three compartments and I decided to drill a hole in each compartment. Now I will be able to drain each compartment for water changes. This will also allow me to move all the crap on the bottom of the sump into the holes while draining the sump. I'm guessing that I should be able to drain about 40 gallons for a water change. Not including the water that I will remove from the frag tank.

SumpHole1.jpg

SumpHole.jpg

SumpBulkHead.jpg

SumpBulkHead1.jpg

OP
OP
ricwilli

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the valves under the sump that I can open to drain the sump. The water will drain underneath the sink into a drain pipe. I have not finished this as I still have to connect the frag tank to this drain pipe.

SumpDrain.jpg

SumpDrain1.jpg

SumpManifold.jpg

I had to reinforce the floor.

Here are the wood beams waiting to be put up.

SisterBeams.jpg

Beams that need to be sistered.

SisterBeams1.jpg

Here they are, put up and bolted.

SisterBeams2.jpg

SisterBeams3.jpg

SisterBeams4.jpg

SisterBeams5.jpg

I wanted to sister 5 wood beams but one of them had electrical wires next to it and I did not want to go through the trouble and start cutting wires. So hopefully 4 sistered wood beams, will give me enough support for the 215.

Plumbing work

The Parts

PlumbingParts.jpg

The drain and return pipes

Plumbing1.jpg

Plumbing2.jpg

Plumbing3.jpg

Pipes going to the first floor.

Plumbing4.jpg

OP
OP
ricwilli

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain pipe from the sump. I still have to connect the Frag tank drain to this pipe.

SumpDrain2.jpg

SumpDrain3.jpg

Pipes on the first floor. They will be in the stand

UpstairsPiping1.jpg

UpstairsPiping2.jpg

The pipe with the black handle on the valve will be the drain pipe. The left and the right will be connected to the drains on the tank and the middle connection with the black handle will be for cleaning the tank. All I have to do is connect a hose to it, open up the valve and start siphoning out all the crap from the tank.
The connection with the red handle will be the returns. Left and right will connect to the returns on the tank and the middle connection with the red handle will be for a 3/4in Sea Swirl.

I picked out the rocks that I wanted to use in my display. Here they are being cured.

Curing1.jpg

The skimmer being used to cure the rocks.

Royal-Exclusive Vertex Alpha 250

Curing2.jpg

VertexSkimmer1.jpg

This is 5min after I turned it on.

VertexSkimmer2.jpg

Sump area with all piping glued.

a10c8ce3.jpg

The intake and return from pump. I'm not to happy with that hard 90 elbow on the return. I might change it.

0281d1c6.jpg

The return pump - Reeflo Hammerhead Pump

58ff19ab.jpg

Another sump pic

80a08586.jpg

I will post the other half of the build tomorrow.

taichimaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
I like this awesome build....The siphoning option on the drain is a great idea. Look forward to additional pics

OP
OP
ricwilli

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 90g moved to the other side of the room for the 215 to take its place.

92def279.jpg

I found my Bartlett Anthias behind the tank. I always wondered what ever happened to it.

5a5f75f5.jpg

Here is where I put some of the corals. There is another bin full of corals some where.

72269f6a.jpg

This is the spot where the 215 will go. As you can see, the return for the furnace is at the bottom of the wall. I will be moving it.

ac9c3b2b.jpg

Here is the stand in its place. If you notice, I took advantage of the opportunity and installed crown molding. I would have had a tough time putting it up if the 215 was set up. I was going to finish it, but my wife suggested I finish putting up the tank first, than finish the crown molding around the room. She is tired of seeing her house full of bins and fish tanks.

f75fa6d2.jpg

I also took advantage of the furnace return and routed the pipes from the basement up through it.

c3ea9670.jpg

Here is the tank in its place. I would like to THANK my father in-law, my wife, and mother for helping me bring the tank in the house. My father in-law and I usually move the tank around, but he wasn't feeling to good that day, so the ladies helped him out. I have some strong women living in the house. Sorry, no pics of this as all hands were on deck.

Tank.jpg

The plumbing under the tank.

TankPlumbing.jpg

Filling/testing day. My wife asked if i was going to use that water and I turned around and walked away. LOL

TankFilling1.jpg

Filling

TankFilling2.jpg

Filled

TankFilling3.jpg

Sump filling

SumpFilling1.jpg

Sump filled

SumpFilling2.jpg

AND WHAT I FOUND

LEAK.jpg

The leak was not that bad. It was just dripping very little. I emptied the manifold and put more glue on the joint and it stopped.

OP
OP
ricwilli

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had a bare bottom tank and just got tired of it. So now I'm going to try the sand thing. I had 3.5 gallons of bucket full of used sand in the garage for a couple of months. I thought cleaning it was going to be difficult, but doing a search on-line, I stumble on Meleves website. His website is very informative. I suggest visiting it Marc's Hidden Treasure. I used his suggestions on cleaning used sand Melevsreef.com - Rinsing Sand. It does take allot of water to clean. I guess it all depends on how much sand you have to clean. I forgot to take pics of this process. Oh well.....

Tank with sand, rocks and a shot at aquascaping.

TankCuringRock1.jpg

TankCuringRock2.jpg

MP40W AND Korilia 4

TankCuringRock3.jpg

Closer look of rocks with the weired large rock. I have no idea what made me put that rock like that. I like it and I don't. Lets see what happends.

TankCuringRock4.jpg

TankCuringRock5.jpg

Side tank shot

TankCuringRock6.jpg

So I realized that I was going to need another manifold to connect more equipment with a lot less demanding water flow. So, I decided to build another manifold. This manifold will be attached to the 3" manifold.
Intorducing the MINI MANIFOLD....
Starting from right to left connections:
- Brightwells Zeolite Media
- Calcium Reactor
- Carbon
- TBD
- TBD
- Aclimating fish and filling test kit vials.(OH I LOVE THIS ONE. No more water in the mouth to start a syphon)

b0232d65.jpg

Here it is connected to the 3" Manifold

a6fd281d.jpg

You can see in this pic that I had a pump running a Fluval 203 canister filter. The Neo rocks were in there. This is a BIG NO NO. I am trying to run only one pump in this setup.

fa5ab8c6.jpg

62524f6e.jpg

Equipment that will be attached to the MINI MANIFOLD.

e692378f.jpg

Equipment attached to the MINI MANIFOLD.

dc07527a.jpg

Connection. I will tidy this up later on.

f5cde129.jpg

1e411978.jpg

OP
OP
ricwilli

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big mess.

ab57f168.jpg

Here is what I will be using for lighting.

The 72", 14 Bulbs Aquactinics Constellation. I love that its low prophile and that I can sit it right on the tank.

fa7a8ea5.jpg

e4d7de57.jpg

996b9d3d.jpg

Here, I need to replace the old bulbs with the new.

b679664e.jpg

Bulbs from front to back starting from the top. (Didn't want to type it all out. lol)

bacfdd03.jpg

The PITA center brace. The only thing I hate about this tank. It must be like 16" wide. I'm sure it will defuse the light a little with it being wet from the humidity.

f3729699.jpg

Here is a FTS with the lights.

FTS.jpg

Some of the corals that I lost in the transfer

DeadCorals.jpg

So this where I'm at right now. I will start with the updates soon.

taichimaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of having the third black valve on your drain for cleaning the tank. My question is : When you connect the hose, are you just sucking the junk from your tank down to your sump? When you are cleaning the tank, do you reroute the drain water to another outlet?

OP
OP
ricwilli

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It goes to the first compartment in the sump while the valve under the sump is open. I did that since I still have to clean the bottom of the sump anyway.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you lose that many coral in the transpher?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow bro sweet build! Sorry about your losses, been there done that. :(

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This an awesome build. I love the rock by the way, make sure to keep us all updated. Thanks for sharing

Ricky,

OP
OP
ricwilli

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I honestly do not know how I lost that many corals. Everything was automated and once I moved the 90 to the other side of the room, things just went down hill. I had to detach allot of corals and remove lots of rocks to move that tank. It took a while for me to set up the 215 as I was working long hours and taking care of a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old. As of today, none of my corals are doing good. I am trying to bring them back though. The corals that I have are alive but all browned out. I will take pics of it soon. I finished moding my skimmer a couple days ago. I will post that up soon as well.

OP
OP
ricwilli

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, one more thing. I was dealing with phos. over 1.00 cause of the used sand that I used. Apparently, I didn't clean it good enough. I have since removed the sand and got the Phos down too .11. I am using GFO to bring it down more. Once I get it down to about .03, I will buy and add new sand (which I should have done in the first place). I'm sure my corals will stay brown untill I bring the phos down.

OP
OP
ricwilli

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after having my skimmer flood my floor with 40 gallons of water, I decided to mod it with a float switch. The way I have my skimmer in the sump, the skimmer cup overlaps the sump about an inch. One day my skimmer out of the blue, decided to overflow. While it was overflowing, most of the water from the skimmer cup was spilling out of the sump
where the skimmer cup overlaps the sump. As this is happening, my ATO kicks on which is connected to a 55 gallon drum filled with RO/DI water. Luckily I had enough water in the drum or else the sump, would had went dry. Well, it took that incident for me to take action.
This is a very simple mod and should not take long to do, if you decide to do it. It is not proffesional looking as you see on other skimmers. I just put this together with the least amount of $$$. Here is how I did it.

The items that I used. ATO, Plastic pen, Electric wire, Wire clips and interlocking connectors.

ae6550d1.jpg

bd15c206.jpg

cd547d3b.jpg

This is the cap of the collection cup. I was lucky the it already had holes. You can easily drill one if yours does not have any.

58823097.jpg

I cut a piece of the pen. This will be used to route the wire through. Make sure that it is plastic.

6a043b12.jpg

I made four cuts on it and bend the cuts back to make it look like helicopter blades.

38630e9d.jpg

This is why the pen needs to be plastic.

d5b33ff9.jpg

Insert it in the hole and glue.

5bcd19ac.jpg

88a60fdb.jpg

e6ef6380.jpg

I cut the float from the ATO and marked one of the wires.

10f8ed70.jpg

Pass the wires attached to the float, through the glued piece of plastic on the collection cup cap and glue.

f112b248.jpg

This is what it should look like all glued.

a1359c54.jpg

OP
OP
ricwilli

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this pic you can see that I extended the wire attached to the ATO switch and also connected the interlocking connector to the other end.

cfc090c5.jpg

The interlocking connector on the float.

e1a73991.jpg

Here it is in the collection cup.

d9f79ef9.jpg

30eea82f.jpg

Wire clips to hold the wire.

1cebcf19.jpg

ALL DONE!

c0620e4b.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back