RO/DI storage question

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to find two tall 58 gallon containers for RO/DI and salt water storage. They were used to hold olives. Will this be safe to use for water storage? They are definitely food grade, I just wonder about any chemicals or pesticides used when the olives were grown.

IMG_3872.PNG

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally,food service barrels such as those, were used to hold the olives in a brine solution. The only chemical that I can think of that would have been added is a food preservative type.

If in doubt, I would clean them as good as possible and fill them up with RODI like you would for actual production.
I.E. powerheads and heaters going and test the water after a week or so.

I had some barrels giver to me by a family member that were used for liquid Seafood/Crab Boil production.
I would have used them except that I could never get rid of the seafood/crab boil smell.
Didnt want the tank inhabitants to constantly feel as though they were next in the pot..lol

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite having been used for Olives in their first life, were they perhaps used for something else by the seller?

I know it's more money but new barrels from Uline aren't very expensive. An open top, 55gal, food grade barrel is only $79 brand new. $108 for a large fish tank setup isn't a huge differential.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did ask if they were ever used for anything else. The seller was the only user.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back