RO Water Question

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in process of filling my 180g, and due to my RO system it's taking probably a total of 3 days to complete. Today is 2 of filling so about 16 hours left to go before it's filled the sump. I'm noticing the water in the DT is starting to smell like Sulfer which sounds like it's common.

Should I start mixing in salt now? Or wait until it's full? could the water go "bad"?

Thanks!
Salt

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in process of filling my 180g, and due to my RO system it's taking probably a total of 3 days to complete. Today is 2 of filling so about 16 hours left to go before it's filled the sump. I'm noticing the water in the DT is starting to smell like Sulfer which sounds like it's common.

Should I start mixing in salt now? Or wait until it's full? could the water go "bad"?

Thanks!
Salt
Wait till it is full. What else do you have in the DT? is the DT new?

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till it is full. What else do you have in the DT? is the DT new?

Brand new, just rock and RO. I know having the rock in there first and mixing is not the best, but I have two RW-20's im going to dump salt slowly into.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new, just rock and RO. I know having the rock in there first and mixing is not the best, but I have two RW-20's im going to dump salt slowly into.

Well not brand new, new build to me, recently cleaned tank with Vinegar.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is were you are probably getting the smell from, a combination of the rock and the tank, keep filling and let the system cycle:)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more than a cycle.....it's a cure as well....... rock in RO/DI water is certainly dead. The death within the rock needs time to exit the rock. Expect spikes in nitrates and phosphates as the rock cures. Don't confuse the nitrate spike with the cycle being done. The sulfur smell has to be coming from the rock.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more than a cycle.....it's a cure as well....... rock in RO/DI water is certainly dead. The death within the rock needs time to exit the rock. Expect spikes in nitrates and phosphates as the rock cures. Don't confuse the nitrate spike with the cycle being done. The sulfur smell has to be coming from the rock.

Thanks! I'm aware of the cycle, I just haven't put any salt in yet!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back