Royal Gramma and Goby in QT

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fish Disease people,

Just picked up a Diamond Goby and Royal Gramma Basslet from a LFS.

They came home and got drip acclimated for about 45 minutes. They were then placed into a 10 gallon QT with sponge filter, heater, and power head. I placed sand on about half of the tank for the Goby.

They are eating well and look pretty good. This morning I noticed what looks like some white spots on the rear portion and tail of the Royal Gramma.

I am going to check again tonight to make sure it wasn't just sand but at this point I am assuming it is Ich.

My plan is to do a round of copper treatment followed by Prazi.

I have Coppersafe and Cupramine on hand, is there any preference for one or the other with these fish?

Current107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White spots don't mean ick or parasites. Its very possible flukes, eggs or bite marks. Did you prazi dip before putting into QT?

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White spots don't mean ick or parasites. Its very possible flukes, eggs or bite marks. Did you prazi dip before putting into QT?

I'm not familiar with Prazi dipping? Is there benefit to a short term dip in Prazi? Is this similar to a freshwater dip?

I though Prazi needed 24 hours to be effective.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5 minute fresh water dip will confirm if flukes are present. See melypr1985's fresh water dip video.

+1 Or a photo of the affected area might help resolve this.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am thinking it was just sand or microbubbles. He looks fine tonight. Here is some pictures regardless.

nRgYo5W.jpg

mF5hWEW.jpg

JfGZdoY.jpg

lJ2Zgq8.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am thinking it was just sand or microbubbles. He looks fine tonight. Here is some pictures regardless.

nRgYo5W.jpg

mF5hWEW.jpg

JfGZdoY.jpg

lJ2Zgq8.jpg

Assuming the spots weren't there when he was purchased and then gone again less than 10 hours later, then it could have been sand. I would still treat proactively, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Prazi needs to have 24 hours contact with the fish for it to be effective. A dip in prazi wouldn't do much good for him, however a freshwater dip would do some good and certainly confirm that flukes are present.

My personal preference is also Coppersafe for what it's worth.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright took some more pictures this morning. Spots are back. I'm thinking it must be a lighting thing. I took some more pictures and will post them when I get to my computer again.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright took some more pictures this morning. Spots are back. I'm thinking it must be a lighting thing. I took some more pictures and will post them when I get to my computer again.

I would highly recommend doing the fresh water dip. Did you find the video to watch on how to do it (if you have questions, that is)? Flukes are fairly translucent while on a fish so lighting may impact how visible they are. They turn white when exposed to fresh water.

And for future reference, a better way to put sand in a QT is to put some in a food safe plastic container and then put it in the tank. It helps maintain some depth to the sand which fish appreciate without spreading all over the tank.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pictures from this morning:

5P0whRt.jpg

uBLKxuE.jpg

I have not done a fresh water dip yet. I can do that when I get home today.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you recommend waiting to see if it goes away or should I go ahead and start copper?
I've treated every fish I have added to my DT with Coppersafe. Either 30 days, remove the copper, and observe for 2 weeks or in copper for 14 days and then transferred to a clean and sanatized QT. I like the peace of mind knowing that it is incredibly unlikely for me to have to deal with either Ich or Velvet in my DT.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you recommend waiting to see if it goes away or should I go ahead and start copper?

If it were me, I'd start copper. I've treated every single fish in my DT as well for ich before placing them in there. I also like the feeling of knowing ick and velvet are not problems I will have in there. I used copper on some and TTM on others. Both of your fish there are fine in copper and shouldn't have any problems with it.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started copper tonight. I am using the directions on the bottle as a starting dose but will measure every day as I am ramping up.

I plan on splitting the initial dose over 3 days and will adjust from there until I reach therapeutic levels.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@re76 I recommend also buying a test kit to measure your Cu level.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back