Rusty colored growth on rocks?

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this just be the beginning of my algae growth? Also getting a purple on my branch that already has algae.
IMG_3128.JPG
IMG_3129.JPG
IMG_3127.JPG

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatom bloom should go away prettt quick but if it doesn't add a handful of snails. Snails use same stuff as diatoms to make shells.

Erik R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is all part of the healthy Algae cycle, though I will admit to absolutely HATING that purple/maroon slime crap.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted this in a pico reef thread, this is algae after 3 months. I'm letting it go through all its process' and nastiness before going through with my plans. Few easy coral and live rock, and have coralline on the intake tube already.

IMG_0680.JPG

Just to show you its normal, but definitely should be cleaned by any which way you'd like before adding goodies.

Good luck feller!! Have fun reefin!

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, glad it's nothing too serious. Will pick up some snails tomorrow! Thanks for all the replies!

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on how to do that?? And I guess I don't know what they are...
Tweezers,Crush the base of the snail. Some glue them shut. If you stir up a little sand they will cast their "web" it makes hunting them easy. Stay ontop of them. They get in plumbing,pumps,everything.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I went and got 3 snails, an emerald, and another small crab (he had cool colors, couldn't pass it up). Read up and people say they kept it under control with snails and emeralds. I also took out the branch and scraped as much off as I could, hoping that it will help.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I went and got 3 snails, an emerald, and another small crab (he had cool colors, couldn't pass it up). Read up and people say they kept it under control with snails and emeralds. I also took out the branch and scraped as much off as I could, hoping that it will help.
it will. I would recommend a few more snails and a variety, ading as the ugly phase progresses. Turbos are great but they do get big so buy em small.
keep an eye on the emerald. Its a large animal and needs a lot of food. if you don't have a lot of algae in the tank you'll need to feed it.

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got algae/omega tabs for the emerald. I would like to get bumble bee snails soon, maybe tomorrow, as I realized that my ugly phase got intensely worse over the day when I got home from work. I also noticed my crabs are attacking my snails, so I may have to get a bigger snail that can hold its own.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got algae/omega tabs for the emerald. I would like to get bumble bee snails soon, maybe tomorrow, as I realized that my ugly phase got intensely worse over the day when I got home from work. I also noticed my crabs are attacking my snails, so I may have to get a bigger snail that can hold its own.
oh well thats all good to hear in a funny sort of way. Glad you got crab food too . Get some empty shells for the hermits.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back