S&M's Seahorse IM Lagoon 50 Build

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was nice typing in that heading as I've been waiting a while to start this tank. I recently just past the 2 year mark on my Innovative Marine SR-60 and regret not keeping a build thread on that tank so I'm determined to do one for this new tank. Here's a shot of my older tank.

IMG_6364.JPG

That's the current tank and apologize in this first post about crappy iPhone pics. Maybe one day I'll get a real camera :rolleyes:. Anyway in case anyone is interested the above tank is running 1 EcoTech Radion 30W LED, the IM Ghost Skimmer, 1 EcoTech Vortech 10 QD, an Apex Jr. running a DOS for 2 part and the AFS for when I need to leave the tank. Ok enough of that, this build is about my new tank so here goes:

I'll start with just some beginning pics and then go into the plan after. I guess I should first say the original location for the tank had to change because it was sticking to far out into the room, but I think my wife and I picked a better spot for it.

IMG_6351.JPG

Yep I put in one of these all by myself, and my house hasn't caught fire and I didn't electrocute myself, so that's a good start.
IMG_6355.JPG

The cabinet, its from Innovative Marine - I have there cabinet on my SR-60 and like it, its built well,not more much to say about that. This is the gray, the white and black were out of stock and they had no idea when they were going to be back in stock so the choice was easy, I actually like the dark gray look.

IMG_6363.JPG

Tank and light, yay! I'm using an AI hydra 26 that I won from an Aquatic Log contest, thank you! Since this tank will be a Seahorse tank I won't be doing many if any SPS, mostly gorgonians and soft corals so for now I think this light will be fine, and the price was certainly right. It came with the EXT for hanging the light and the Director wireless controller. So I think using this saved me about $600 - don't worry I'll spend that on other things I'm sure :).

So anyway the plan: As mentioned this is going to be a Seahorse tank but also will house other compatible fish like mandarins, gobies, pipefish, that are peaceful and/or have special feeding requirements. I'm going to try to keep as many ORA fish as I can. Of course that was my original plan for the SR-60 and well you know you go to the LFS and see fish you want and then the plan kind of falls apart. But for this tank I'm going to try to be more disciplined.

Since I want to cultivate a nice population of pods for the Seahorses, mandarins, and pipefish I'm seriously thinking about ditching the 200 micron filter socks that come with tank because I don't think any "buggies" will pass through them. Instead I'm going to try using the CustomCady media basket by IM with the sponge filtration (1 for filtering stuff, 1 that's carbon, and 1 that removes phosphates). At least that's the initial plan will see how it goes. At the very least with this option I feel more comfortable with the ability of the little buggies to move through the system. Speaking of little buggies, I'm also planning on adding a hang on the back refugium (or 2) from CPR Aquatic Inc., the AquaFuge 2. I was going to go with a continuous siphon overflow from them into a proper sump in the stand, but just kept thinking if I wanted that I should have bought a different tank. The AquaFuge 2 will go on the back of the tank and I think I can get 2 small ones for a total of 5 gallons, which seems big enough, after all the buggies are kind of tiny.

I still need to get a chiller, I'm debating getting it now or waiting until right before the tank is ready to add the Seahorses. I'm leaning to getting it now and hooking it up before I add sand/rock/water.

Speaking of rock I'm having a really hard time deciding what to do.....

Finally I'm debating swapping out the return pump that comes with the tank with an Ecotech Vectra M-1, but I don't think it will fit in the sump area of the Lagoon 50 :cool:.

Ok this is long enough. I'm really determined to keep this updated as I go along. If you've read this far thanks.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do miss my seahorses. But for me it was ages ago. Anyway, if it was me I'd do dead rock and use seeding rocks to keep the horrible things out that can hurt the horses. And now that there's so many macro algae types that look awesome and don't take over the tank like we had back when I had horses, I'd go with a macro garden to go along with them.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant wait to see this go up. It's going to be awesome. I agree you should go ahead and get the chiller now. Get it all taken care of now.

What kind of horses were you planning on getting? Have you picked a place to get them from?

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant wait to see this go up. It's going to be awesome. I agree you should go ahead and get the chiller now. Get it all taken care of now.

What kind of horses were you planning on getting? Have you picked a place to get them from?

I haven't decided on type yet but probably I'll get them from either ORA or Alyssas.

I was thinking of getting them from ORA, they are available from Live Aquaria and ship right from there facility. Since I'm in Orlando it won't be much of a trip. I also asked my LFS and they can order them too, but I'm thinking why go through the stress of having them go to the LFS and then to me. But this is still a way's down the road. I was thinking ORA because I could also buy many of the other fish (I have to keep reminding myself that seahorses are fish too) that I want to put in the tank with them and kind of make it an ORA themed tank.

If ORA doesn't work out I'll probably go with Alyssas from Pacific East. Both the ORA and Alyssas are captive bred and trained to eat mysis. I'm planning on having plenty of live food for them, but if they eat frozen that would be a plus.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update (nothing to exciting). I made some purchases - yay and stuff should arrive on Friday.
I went to my LFS and got the IM Custom Cady's to replace the filter socks, I'll stock these with the various sponges that IM provides and maybe a little Cheato to house the buggies once I stock them. Here's a pic of the new one,

IMG_6367.JPG

and what they look like after a while as I have one in my SR-60.
IMG_6368.JPG

Yeah, amazing what kind of life happens in our aquariums.

I think I mentioned that I was trying to get an Ecotech Vectra DC pump to provide flow but it won't fit, its too big for the sump return position of the Lagoon 50. So I'm holding off and hoping that Ecotech will release a smaller version in the near future. Im also rethinking getting a powerhead after doing some readings and realizing that Seahorses actually like flow (10x - 20x) but I'm holding off on that purchase for now.

What I did get was:
1) JBJ Artica chiller 1/10 HP
2) 1/2" braided vinyl tubing
3) Ratchet clamps
4) Syncra Silent 3.0 Pump (714gph- Sicce) (I have had Sicce pumps in my SR-60 for a while now having replaced the one's that originally ship with IM tanks and they are really good, very good flow, very quiet and need less maintenance.

I have to tell you I talked to the folks at @Bulk Reef Supply twice about this to understand the plumbing, which tells you how bad I am at understanding/visioning plumbing stuff. I mean I'm just hooking up one tube from a pump to the chiller and then back from the chiller into the tank, but I had to call twice to make sure I was getting what I needed to do it right. I guess maybe a side-effect of only having AIO's is not understanding plumbing.

5) IM Ghost Skimmer - this I'm still skeptical about since its not rated for a large tank but there wasn't much that would fit in the skimmer compartment that was rated any better. I do really like the way these skimmers fit with the IM tanks as they sit very low and so there isn't an ugly skimmer cup sticking out from the back of your tank. Will see how good it performs. I do have the larger Ghost skimmer in my SR-60 an it works fine so I'm just worried about the rating of the mid-size (the larger ghost won't fit the lagoon 50). I suppose if worse comes to worse I can always use two of these skimmers (hmmm, I'm not sure that even makes sense but will see).
6) CPR Aquafue2 with LED light (small size, 2.5 gallons) - this will hopefully fit in the back of tank but might require some DIY plumbing (see above for how much this scares me), so stay tuned.

Well that's it. I'm still not sure about rock yet.......

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice I like watching stuff like this the chiller is a life saver i HEARD

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest you also consider Seahorse Source? You will absolutely love their customer service, should you need/want advice or help. You are not going to find anyone who knows more about horses.

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest you also consider Seahorse Source? You will absolutely love their customer service, should you need/want advice or help. You are not going to find anyone who knows more about horses.

Thanks I've definitely heard of them and they are somewhat local as I'm in Orlando. I've also read/learned quite a lot from http://fusedjaw.com

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my equipment came in on Friday and I spent the weekend putting together the plumbing (well vinyl tubing is all it is) to the chiller but man that was a pain. I didn't have the right elbow connectors (2 trips to home depot) and then I didn't have the right connector that came with my Sicce pump. So shout out to lfs Top Shelf Aquatics here in Orlando who had the connectors I needed. Things are a little tight in the "sump" part of the AIO but its all in there now. I also decided to leave space from the back of the tank to the wall so I can get back there and do maintenance and stuff. It distracts a bit from the overall look of the tank but I think the benefits outweigh the looks.

IMG_6416.JPG IMG_6417.JPG

I also got my rock from them, I decided on Haitian rock, I just liked the look of it, and spent the weekend cleaning and cementing into an aquascape.

IMG_6412.JPG

I have a smaller piece on the right side but I'm not sure about the look of it yet. I'm waiting for the family to come home and give me a thumbs up or down before finalizing it. Well now I'm mostly settling in for the old tank cycle. Wish my patience :rolleyes:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I love horses. Have never kept them though. I get to see them at our public aquarium where I volunteer though. :)

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ATO did you decide on? I have the Tunze Nano and already had a snail get in and wedge it open.
I haven't gotten that yet but its my next purchase. I have been using the TUNZE Osmolator 3155 on my other tank and other than human error (me!) it works perfectly. I'm only concerned about the above mentioned mess I already have in the sump compartment and that ATO takes up some real estate. The alternative I'm thinking about is the IM HyrdroFil TI ATO. I think it will take up less space but I'm concerned because the earlier version was terrible. I've read good reviews of the newer version so I'm leaning towards that. I will let you know once I've gotten something.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you I pulled my rock forward from the back wall. My tank is a bowfront so it is not terribly distracting and actually gives me a place to hide my rio pumps. The rios helps keep particles suspended and the space behind the rock lets me keep the back wall clean. I just made a youtube video if you are interested.

I use a smart ATO and it needs very little space and has worked flawlessly.

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you I pulled my rock forward from the back wall. My tank is a bowfront so it is not terribly distracting and actually gives me a place to hide my rio pumps. The rios helps keep particles suspended and the space behind the rock lets me keep the back wall clean. I just made a youtube video if you are interested.

I use a smart ATO and it needs very little space and has worked flawlessly.
Thanks for the info on the ATO and rios, I will definitely check them out. I've watched your video, well I've read your entire thread :) it is quite amazing what you've done. I hope to have similar results once I get the tank cycled. Of course now I'm remembering what happened with my first tank, Ammonia readings are at 0! How can that be? I'll keep testing and hopefully see a spike soon.

Back