Sad day today but for the better

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i spent 5 hours today trying to catch my Lemon Peel Tang because he has been a bully because i made the mistake of putting him as the first fish in the tank. Great fish he works the tank, eats the algae of the rocks and swims gracefully about the tank. Then i added a Starry Blenny that he terrorized for 3 weeks and then started to get a little better. And just 3 days ago i added 2 Snowflake Occellaris clowns, 2 Pajama Cardinal fish and 1 Firefish. And the Tang is just bullying everyone to the point they are all in one corner in the back of the tank in my 120.

I made the decision to remove the bully. I really loved that fish but figure i would never be able to have a peaceful tank. Now he sits in my 20 gallon QT tank probably ticked as heck. I guess i'll see if the LFS will take him for store credit. Tank won't be the same with him gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be okay if you leave it in qt for a few days. In the meantime rearrange the rocks in the display and let the rest of the fish settle in. The mimic might behave with no territory to defend.

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be okay if you leave it in qt for a few days. In the meantime rearrange the rocks in the display and let the rest of the fish settle in. The mimic might behave with no territory to defend.

I thought about that but love my rockwork and have about 25 glued corals all in spots where they are thriving. Don't want to mess that up unfortunately.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay. Well if not too hard to catch may be okay just reintroducing in a week or so. By then others will be more confident. Besides not sure how good fish memory is. Mimic might just assume new place and no longer the boss. Worth a shot if recapture is not a big deal. if you have an isolation box even better to use as a half way house.

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that but love my rockwork and have about 25 glued corals all in spots where they are thriving. Don't want to mess that up unfortunately.

Saw a vid where a guy placed a pic of a larger yellow tang on the outside of the tank and his yellow tang quit harassing his new flame angel. Has anyone else tried this?

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay. Well if not too hard to catch may be okay just reintroducing in a week or so. By then others will be more confident. Besides not sure how good fish memory is. Mimic might just assume new place and no longer the boss. Worth a shot if recapture is not a big deal. if you have an isolation box even better to use as a half way house.

I would love to try that. Put him in the QT for a few weeks and hope he thinks he is new all over again when re-introduced to the tank. Just not sure it works that way especially if the rockwork stays the same.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's a meany, then he's a meany. Changing rocks around, putting in mirrors, or putting him time-out rarely ever works IMO. Take him for a trip to your lfs. And your other fish will love you for it.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's a meany, then he's a meany. Changing rocks around, putting in mirrors, or putting him time-out rarely ever works IMO. Take him for a trip to your lfs. And your other fish will love you for it.

Unfortunately this has been my experience as well. I have a clown tang in my 300g who is just mean as heck and he's only 3 inches. He just harasses everyone in the tank. I've tried mirrors,pictures,etc to no prevail. Good luck.

SaltySue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i spent 5 hours today trying to catch my Lemon Peel Tang because he has been a bully because i made the mistake of putting him as the first fish in the tank. Great fish he works the tank, eats the algae of the rocks and swims gracefully about the tank. Then i added a Starry Blenny that he terrorized for 3 weeks and then started to get a little better. And just 3 days ago i added 2 Snowflake Occellaris clowns, 2 Pajama Cardinal fish and 1 Firefish. And the Tang is just bullying everyone to the point they are all in one corner in the back of the tank in my 120.

I made the decision to remove the bully. I really loved that fish but figure i would never be able to have a peaceful tank. Now he sits in my 20 gallon QT tank probably ****** as heck. I guess i'll see if the LFS will take him for store credit. Tank won't be the same with him gone.

Ohhh, sorry having to deal with this.:(

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back