Sailfin issue

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend I had an issue where my Apex dumped a huge OD of vodka into my system while I was out if town. I have since done a few water changes to try to correct that since Monday with miminal coral loss. On Tuesday I noticed 1 fish out of about 20 acting wierd. The fish was swimming unusual and bumping into power heads. He then swam into a cave and wasn't seen again until I found him with a flashlight last night. I actually thought he died when he didnt come out to eat before i found him. Today the fish finally came out but looked beat up and swimming slowly. Slow enough that I caught him with only a net. He is breathing irratically. I have him in a gallon bucket with a airstone now waiting to get enough water to fill a qt 40 breeder. I'm low on water from water changes on vodka OD (another story)

I can't determine if this is some sort of disease he caught when weakened or if this is damage from other tangs and/or power heads. Thoughts on treatment?

He looks like this now.
20170222_131532.jpg

Looked like this before
20161012_142037.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He appears to have a bacterial infection over his body, but what caused it is another thing. Have any of these fish been QT'd? Ever see any scratching or flashing from any of the fish? White spots occasionally? Heavy breathing before the OD?

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend I had an issue where my Apex dumped a huge OD of vodka into my system while I was out if town. I have since done a few water changes to try to correct that since Monday with miminal coral loss. On Tuesday I noticed 1 fish out of about 20 acting wierd. The fish was swimming unusual and bumping into power heads. He then swam into a cave and wasn't seen again until I found him with a flashlight last night. I actually thought he died when he didnt come out to eat before i found him. Today the fish finally came out but looked beat up and swimming slowly. Slow enough that I caught him with only a net. He is breathing irratically. I have him in a gallon bucket with a airstone now waiting to get enough water to fill a qt 40 breeder. I'm low on water from water changes on vodka OD (another story)

I can't determine if this is some sort of disease he caught when weakened or if this is damage from other tangs and/or power heads. Thoughts on treatment?

He looks like this now.
20170222_131532.jpg

Looked like this before
20161012_142037.jpg

Exactly what I'm going through right now. I dosed prazipro in the dt. I also dosed it in the qt tank. Going on day three and it's doing noticeably better.

OP
OP
thabizness

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have all been through qt - but I don't QT corals so who knows. May see a flash rarely but not from him. He was fine before the vodka OD. What do you recommend for treatment? I do have E.M. Erythromycin on hand

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have all been through qt - but I don't QT corals so who knows. May see a flash rarely but not from him. He was fine before the vodka OD. What do you recommend for treatment? I do have E.M. Erythromycin on hand

Go ahead and treat with the Erythromycin for now. You may want to get some kanaplex or Furan2 as a back up.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some hyposalinity as well?

You can try it, but I'm not a fan. If he has ich, and the insertion points have gotten infected, then the antibiotic is important. Hypo doesn't treat all strains of ick, but copper and cp do. I would run either of those if you think ick is a contender here.... though it would be smart to run all the fish through it and leave the tank fallow.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's ich, but I do believe running at a lower salinity reduces the energy required for certain biological functions in fish, reducing stress. That would be the only point. Don't go to 1.09, but maybe 1.20 while in treatment

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's ich, but I do believe running at a lower salinity reduces the energy required for certain biological functions in fish, reducing stress. That would be the only point. Don't go to 1.09, but maybe 1.20 while in treatment

Running it at 1.020 wouldn't hurt... but I would do it very slowly and start treating the infection right away. I'm not a fan of changing salinity or temps during treatment because the change is something else they have to adjust to while trying to heal and adjust to being in a QT.

OP
OP
thabizness

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am thinking the vodka OD messed him up then he was beat up and/or swam into a vortech. yesterday morning when I saw how cloudy the water was I turned on the lights and he floated into a MP40 until i shut it off. He wasn't beat up yet.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am thinking the vodka OD messed him up then he was beat up and/or swam into a vortech. yesterday morning when I saw how cloudy the water was I turned on the lights and he floated into a MP40 until i shut it off. He wasn't beat up yet.

The face looks consistent with getting beat up like that. Antibiotics and lost of rest and low stress is going to be key. Healthy foods with vitamins added will help quite a bit. Be ready to switch antibiotics if needed. treat for a minimum of 10 days no matter how much better he may appear before then.

OP
OP
thabizness

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this morning he was still alive in a 40g hospital tank... Pretty good considering I thought he was a goner Tues morning. I started the first dose yesterday and will continue on the medication course. What are some signs that I would need to change course on medications? What would kanaplex or Furan2 be treating? I would assume I couldn't do all medications at once. I'll pick up the other two probably tomorrow on my trip to the LFS for salt.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't most of us look like that after overdosing on vodka over the weekend?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this morning he was still alive in a 40g hospital tank... Pretty good considering I thought he was a goner Tues morning. I started the first dose yesterday and will continue on the medication course. What are some signs that I would need to change course on medications? What would kanaplex or Furan2 be treating? I would assume I couldn't do all medications at once. I'll pick up the other two probably tomorrow on my trip to the LFS for salt.

Once you start with a particular antibiotic, you really need to give it 10 days before changing treatment.

Back