Salifert Magnesium Test Kit, Spoonful Question?

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the Mag test it says to add 1 spoonful to the
vial is that a Level, Rounded or Heaping spoonful?

In the Cal test it specifies a Level Spoonful
But the mag test just says Spoonful.

What is the proper "Spoonful"?

Thank you

OP
OP
Harry_Y

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, It had me wondering

I even went to their site but the instructions are not there

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys enjoy your Salifert kits? I am "shopping" for some kits to test Mag, Cal and Alk and want to know what to spend my hard earned $ on!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+100000 on the level scoop. rounded will throw your results WAY off. When in doubt level it out, thats how i remember it anyways.

Mufasa31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Salifert kits.
Had a bad Red Sea Mag kit and it showed low Mag, so I kept dosing. When I got my Salifert kit, the mag was beyond maxed out. Needless to say I am happy with all my Salifert kits (Mag, Alk, CA, PH).

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys enjoy your Salifert kits? I am "shopping" for some kits to test Mag, Cal and Alk and want to know what to spend my hard earned $ on!

I've gone to all Salifert kits, as they are the easiest to gauge in my experience. Right now, I use Salifert for Nitrate, Alk, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphates (also use hanna checker) and Strontium (a long test to do). For the three you want, I couldn't recommend any others.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+100000 on the level scoop. rounded will throw your results WAY off. When in doubt level it out, thats how i remember it anyways.

I use level scoops as well. I try to make sure that I do my test the exact same way each time so its a valid comparison to the previous test.

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone to all Salifert kits, as they are the easiest to gauge in my experience. Right now, I use Salifert for Nitrate, Alk, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphates (also use hanna checker) and Strontium (a long test to do). For the three you want, I couldn't recommend any others.

Thanks for the input btk, didn't mean to hijack with my question but it helps me understand what I need to be spending my money on!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I think the OP question has been answered by now, haha. The three you mentioned all have color changing results. In other words, you keep putting in the regent drop by drop until the color changes from pink to blue. Once its does, you flip over the syringe, read it, and compare to a chart to get your readings. Very easy.

nikesb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless instructions have said "heaping" ive always assumed level. i do the same thing with cooking

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless instructions have said "heaping" ive always assumed level. i do the same thing with cooking

My thoughts exactly. Unless the directions say otherwise, a scoop is a level scoop. Like for example, in the Nitrate test kit, it says to jam the power in the scoop, pressing against the side of the bottle.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say It is one level scoop un packed, packing it or adding a pile will effect your test kit in a not so possitive way.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say It is one level scoop un packed, packing it or adding a pile will effect your test kit in a not so possitive way.

Agreed. I was just saying that some of the salifert tests actually say to press the spoon onto the side of the bottle to compact it in. The Nitrate kit actually instructs you to do so. If it doesn't, a level scoop is the consensus.

Back