Salinity Issue

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am finally setting up my 35 gallon tank and I'm having an issue with the salinity or my swing arm tester. I used half the water from the old tank and then the rest was freshly mixed water (fish are okay and not in new tank) When I tested it last night it was maxing out made sure there were no bubbles still maxed out.

So I decided today I would do about a 35% water change and just use fresh water no salt. Still maxing out with no bubbles. And when I checked my old water it maxes out to even though I know it's fine (checked it a couple of days ago)

My gut tells me everything is fine. My water parameters are fine and everything is running smoothly except for this problem. Is it just my tester that's wrong and am I good to move stuff over?

OP
OP
KatSea

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a refractometer. Swing arm testers a notoriously inaccurate. If you don't have the cash for one now, take a sample to your LFS. Most decent places will test it for you for free.

Sadly our local fish store is a Walmart and I have to travel 3 hours to the nearest one that's even considered a pet store.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would not trust transferring your fish until you get a refractometer. I had a hydrometer for a while until I broke down and bought a refractometer only to find out I was pushing 1.029sg while my hydrometer was reading 1.025sg.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the refractometer. How are you testing your new water before it goes in the tank?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the refractometer or digital refractometer. Milwaukee or Hanna makes a great digital refractometer. If you catch them on sale they're around $110-130 and plus they're less fuss than a manual refractometer.

OP
OP
KatSea

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the same swing arm tester and everything was reading as the same as the old water. But there was an instant when it got beat around and so that's why I was thinking it was off or broken

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the same swing arm tester and everything was reading as the same as the old water. But there was an instant when it got beat around and so that's why I was thinking it was off or broken
More than likely broken. It's not going to be super accurate, but you could try testing some RO water. You'll know if something is way off if you're getting completely bogus readings from that.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kat! Yea, its prob fine if you followed the measurements and tapped smacked and beat the swing arm.
You can get a decent refractometer on the Amazon for $20. If its IO salt, it should fall out of solution I believe. I started weighing it in grams.

OP
OP
KatSea

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely broken. It's not going to be super accurate, but you could try testing some RO water. You'll know if something is way off if you're getting completely bogus readings from that.

Yeah I just tested it. It's ready in the green for where my salinity should be.... That was an easy thing I could have done to begin with lol

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just tested it. It's ready in the green for where my salinity should be.... That was an easy thing I could have done to begin with lol
All the time I could've saved if I would've brought my problem straight here! Lol :)

OP
OP
KatSea

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. What I might do is start them on a drip and see how they do. Wait a while and if everything goes well I'll move them over (it's only 2 clowns) and if I don't like how they are doing all move them back to there old tank and go from there.

OP
OP
KatSea

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So great news everyone's doing good and the clowns are exploring around. My room smells like the bad side of the beach cause of the old tank but other than that everyone's doing good.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So great news everyone's doing good and the clowns are exploring around. My room smells like the bad side of the beach cause of the old tank but other than that everyone's doing good.
That's good to hear! Let us know what your salinity ends up being whenever you find out! Ha ha, I'm interested as to what it is :)

OP
OP
KatSea

KatSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear! Let us know what your salinity ends up being whenever you find out! Ha ha, I'm interested as to what it is :)

Same here I'll see if anyone in town can test it for me. The problems of living in small towns.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back