Salinity questions.

Walkmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just recently switched to aquaforest reef salt and so I decided to check my Salinity for the first time in awhile. Haven't had any issues so I never checked up on it (bad, I know).

Well I checked my tank water with both my refractometer, which I got used and have never calibrated, and an accuprobe floating gravity checker. Both of them read at 1.016.

My questions are:
How accurate are those accuprobe?

How often does a refractometer need to be calibrated.

What is the safest way to raise the SG in my tank?

Thanks in advance.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A floating hygrometer is junk. I would buy the pinpoints salinity calibration solution and cal. your refractometer as asap. Now I would cal. this unit every 4-6 months. In the mean time go to a LFS to see what level your tank is at now. good luck

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate my refractometer before every use... meaning if I haven't used it in a week or even a day I will calibrate it. Then I consider it good to go for about and hour, before I'd feel I wanted to check the calibration. Calibration fluid is like 8 bucks, so I keep it on hand for peace of mind.

OP
OP
Walkmann

Walkmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks for the info guys, hopefully I can get the salinity back up before too long!

I used to just put in the same amount of salt into every water change. Apparently it got off somewhere down the line. What's weird is that my corals and fish are all doing just fine so I never thought to check it.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the regular calibration. My refractometer is of the cheap amazon variety so we may be in different boats there. Either way, I calibrated mine this morning and it was a little over 1 PPT high after only two weeks without use. However, two different methods coming up with like results means you are more than likely somewhere around the 1.016 you got as your results. I'd highly suggest getting some calibration fluid, finding out where exactly you are that, and taking the appropriate steps to fixing it. I imagine a salinity that though would result in some unhappy corals :(

Just now seeing your post, maybe your results are farther off than I thought!

OP
OP
Walkmann

Walkmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an example of what my palys and mushrooms look like. I've also got some acro frags that are starting to encrusted onto my rock. That's why I'm so confused as to the readings.

14847757165841307756686.jpg

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm going to guess those readings are way off. Unless I've missed something all this time about that low of salinity being ok! Tank is looking good BTW, I envy your coralline growth. Lol I can't get mine to spread/grow to save my life.

OP
OP
Walkmann

Walkmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm going to guess those readings are way off. Unless I've missed something all this time about that low of salinity being ok! Tank is looking good BTW, I envy your coralline growth. Lol I can't get mine to spread/grow to save my life.
Haha, thanks, yeah it definitely was not on purpose. I upgraded lights awhile back and it was a side effect of that!

Ronald Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 differed readings.
Red sea : 1.022
Fluval: 1.021
Deep six: 1.025

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back