Salt Water Mixing Stations Let's See Them!!

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system has evolved several times since it's inception. I just finished plumbing one of my 150 gallon containers as a mixing station. It's got a Reeflo Suntail (with baldor motor) to do the stirring. (I'll post my video of my test, but it's lousy quality thanks to youtube, but you can tell there won't be anything settling on the bottom of the tank. LOL).

This weekend I am going to add the last few components for automatic, constant waterchanges to my display tank.

IMG_4038_zpsmjk1uqko.jpg

Here's the crummy video:

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump do you recommend for 2 50 gallon containers, 1 for freshwater and the other for mixing saltwater? I'm debating between the Pan World 40px and the 50px

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished mine. I tiled the room and installed a floor drain and a 1 inch tall threshhold to keep any water in the room if it leaks. I also installed a sensor on the floor which will shut off the water to the RODI unit if it detects a leak. I still need the cam locks for hoses when I go full manual. I designed the return inside the SW tank to swirl the water.

Once I get the shelves and switches and the full automation things installed, I'll be happy and post an update. I'll have the ATO filled from the FW tank and the SW will be on a 2-4 gallon a day swap.

Tona

IMG_7007.JPG
IMG_7008.JPG
IMG_7009.JPG

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody put a heater in the container that mixes the saltwater?

I have a heater in my salt container. I also have a power head, a salinity monitor and thermometer. They are all zip tied to a short piece of PVC that I can pull out and bring everything with it.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old one had a heater in it, this version does not, only because I am doing continuous small waterchanges between 68ml- 137ml every 13 mins. It isn't gonna help/hurt a larger system if it is or isn't heated.

A week ago I started continuous automatic waterchanges using a DÕS run off of my Apex. Even in this short amount of time, coloration has dramatically improved, there is a visible growth increase in multiple frags. My coralline algae has even become darker and denser in coloration. I've been running my tank on Red Sea blue bucket since the beginning. I filled the reservoir with Instant Ocean and that's what it's been changing its water with, it took less than 24 hours to see a dramatic change in my corals. (In all good ways). I don't think the salt has anything to do with it. (I adjusted the parameters to my usual preferences) By constantly changing a small amount of water its making all the trace elements readily available ALL the time. I'm not changing more or less than I ordinarily would, I'm just maximizing the usage of my salt water. ;)

Besides, now I don't have to do it. My saltwater mixing station mixes it for me, and the Apex changes it for me. I don't do much more than dump salt in the container and flick a few virtual switches :D

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old one had a heater in it, this version does not, only because I am doing continuous small waterchanges between 68ml- 137ml every 13 mins. It isn't gonna help/hurt a larger system if it is or isn't heated.

A week ago I started continuous automatic waterchanges using a DÕS run off of my Apex. Even in this short amount of time, coloration has dramatically improved, there is a visible growth increase in multiple frags. My coralline algae has even become darker and denser in coloration. I've been running my tank on Red Sea blue bucket since the beginning. I filled the reservoir with Instant Ocean and that's what it's been changing its water with, it took less than 24 hours to see a dramatic change in my corals. (In all good ways). I don't think the salt has anything to do with it. (I adjusted the parameters to my usual preferences) By constantly changing a small amount of water its making all the trace elements readily available ALL the time. I'm not changing more or less than I ordinarily would, I'm just maximizing the usage of my salt water. ;)

Besides, now I don't have to do it. My saltwater mixing station mixes it for me, and the Apex changes it for me. I don't do much more than dump salt in the container and flick a few virtual switches :D

Rick...would you mind sharing the distance from your mixing station to your display and are they on the same level of your house? Curious about the strength of the pumps.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick...would you mind sharing the distance from your mixing station to your display and are they on the same level of your house? Curious about the strength of the pumps.

It took a total of 100' of tubing for all the lines together, it's on the same level of the house. Obviously it isn't a great distance. They are peristaltic pumps so they should operate efficiently at higher pressures so I doubt there would be a problem running a different level of the home.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a total of 100' of tubing for all the lines together, it's on the same level of the house. Obviously it isn't a great distance. They are peristaltic pumps so they should operate efficiently at higher pressures so I doubt there would be a problem running a different level of the home.

What are you using to keep the tubing below your SW waterline in your mixing tank? It's flexibility has me concerned. Are you attaching it to anything?

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are most of you using a float valve in your container from the rodi system?

Yeah, I use a float valve. Some use a product called a barrel tender. It's nice... I think it helps with stop and start issues with the RODI unit. It won't fill until it gets low. I think that's how it works.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to keep the tubing below your SW waterline in your mixing tank? It's flexibility has me concerned. Are you attaching it to anything?

The external pump return runs from the top of the container almost to the bottom of the container where there is a 45 degree elbow pointed so no salt can sit on the bottom of the container. I have the line run via a 1/4" murlock bulkhead (from BRS) through the lid of the container, it is then zip tied to the return line from the external pump that runs to down into the container. I also attached a piece of rigid airline tubing which I heated the end up (in boiling water) and bent it to a 45 degree and basically made it so it contacts the bottom of the container. (so the DOS can suck nearly all of the water out of the container). It won't ever get to that point but just in case.

I can remove the inner pipe for the return from the bulkhed in the top of the container (just a slip fitting). It makes retrieving the airstone and the water line for the DOS very simple. The are securely fastened to the pipe with zip ties so they can't get sucked into the external pump return (my biggest fear). I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are most of you using a float valve in your container from the rodi system?

Yes, My RODI storage has a float valve and the saltwater container has a float valve. I can fill either independently from the RODI, I don't have to transfer water from my DI vat to my saltwater vat. It simplifies plumbing. It also ensures that I can keep a smaller RODI container because I don't need to shuttle an entire saltwater mixing station's volume over each time. If I need to pump some water in from the RODI container, I just attach a hose to a manifold running to the freshwater line to ATO container for the DT and stick it in the vat. My RODI storage tank is only 35 gallons. That being said I have a second 150 gallon storage vessel plumbed with a float valve that I can bring into play if I need to.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of off topic, but does anyone remove the water from their ro/di? I currently don't have a fancy setup which allow me to mount it, just basically putting the rodi on the floor of my bathroom and putting the bucket in the tub for 5 gallons at a time, output in the drain of the tub.. carried to my room where it is in a brute with a powerhead and heater. I guess I read that one of the parts has to stay wet so I just leave water in it. Not sure if it's the wrong thing to do or not.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of off topic, but does anyone remove the water from their ro/di? I currently don't have a fancy setup which allow me to mount it, just basically putting the rodi on the floor of my bathroom and putting the bucket in the tub for 5 gallons at a time, output in the drain of the tub.. carried to my room where it is in a brute with a powerhead and heater. I guess I read that one of the parts has to stay wet so I just leave water in it. Not sure if it's the wrong thing to do or not.

You don't want the membranes to dry out. If you want to make sure that doesn't happen get a few ball valves put one inline in the input line, and one inline on the waste water line, and one on the product water line. When you are done for the day. Close all the valves and take it out of the tub. You won't have to worry about water leaking on the floor that way. When I was doing what you are doing many years ago, I never worried about it, I'd just run it when I needed it (I wouldn't drain the unit, I just left water in it, until the next time). Just let the old water purge from the unit before you start saving it. It's not a big deal if you use it often.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want the membranes to dry out. If you want to make sure that doesn't happen get a few ball valves put one inline in the input line, and one inline on the waste water line, and one on the product water line. When you are done for the day. Close all the valves and take it out of the tub. You won't have to worry about water leaking on the floor that way. When I was doing what you are doing many years ago, I never worried about it, I'd just run it when I needed it (I wouldn't drain the unit, I just left water in it, until the next time). Just let the old water purge from the unit before you start saving it. It's not a big deal if you use it often.
Thanks! Just wasn't sure if some water left inside was detrimental.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back