Saltgator's 240 Build

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too great of pics but here y'all go. No editing, just cell pics.
uploadfromtaptalk1435879884083.jpeg
uploadfromtaptalk1435879893260.jpeg
uploadfromtaptalk1435879900036.jpeg
What's the name of this fish?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, I'm sorry :( Sometimes I think we get comebacks to knock us down again ugh... I got an Apex and while just beginning to set it up my laptop craps out. Can't figure out why either. Yeah - always something...

But your tank was looking great!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the name of this fish?
That's my juvenile fowleri tang. Possibly my favorite out of all my fish.
Oh wow, I'm sorry :( Sometimes I think we get comebacks to knock us down again ugh... I got an Apex and while just beginning to set it up my laptop craps out. Can't figure out why either. Yeah - always something...

But your tank was looking great!
Yes, it's just test that we all go thru to see or prove to ourselves how dedicated we are to our reefs and fish. Sorry to hear about your laptop, I gave up on those and just went for a tablet. Good luck with your apex, maybe one day I'll go back to using a reef angel or purchase a apex.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is for sure a beautiful tang! I love its coloring :)

Wish i could do a tablet but since I build websites and am also a graphic designer it's better to have a pc or or a large screen laptop unfortunately.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand.

He has some beautiful colors and is the friendliest tangs. If I'm working on corals or the front panel in the tank, he's picking at me.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the qt water down tonight to 1.010, tuning it tomorrow to 1.008. All fish seem to be settled in the stock tank and getting fat.

While the clowns were out of the ritteri, and the tank destroyed, my ritteri decided to go walking. Yesterday it was being sucked in the overflow (barely but could have been worse) and then today I come home to a cloudy tank and 3/4 of the ritteri gone! Yep, he went to a Wp40 an lost. I saved what I could which looks to be the mouth and placed it in qt. We'll see how things go.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe, I hate when this happens :( I haven't had one in a very long time for that reason alone. Hopefully it'll make a return from what you were able to save.

Wish my tank was bigger (Don't we all no matter how big ours is?!), I would love several more fish lol. But as it is my 180 is Tanged to the max when taking growth into consideration.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate it too but it's a 50/50 shot with any nem that walks imo. To my surprise, the nem was on the qt container side, half way up it. That tells me that it's still kicking and might be trying to recover. I'll take pics later, but they're not pretty, lol.

I'd love to have more fish room too. Heck, when the ich battle began, I discussed with my wife (the boss and has nothing to do with the hobby anymore) on selling a few tangs or even my angel and clowns. I don't know why I was even discussing it, must have been stress. Regardless, she said some of those fish have been thru wringer and back with me and it'd be dumb on my part if I was to sell them. Lol, she keeps (tries) the insanity at bay!!!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the nem. When it rains, it pours sometimes. :(

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, lol. I appreciate it. Things will be better. I'm actually taking this time to consider removing 100% of the rock and sand, dry out all the rock (aiptasia and xenia control) and going BB completely in the DT. I'm just trying to figure out the coral frags and colonies:
-where can I house them and for how long?
-how I can cycle the rock and not affect my fuge (if I left it connected)?
-if going this route is a plus or negative?

Just some thoughts that I've considered, might not even take this route but just want to take the fishless time to get whatever done I can.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you could setup a frag tank (or even just use something like a large sterlite container), so long as you can get light & flow to it. A HOB skimmer would be a plus. Petco is running their dollar per gal sale right now. I was looking at a 40 breeder the other day, and that with their cheap Petco stand was only gonna cost $100.

As for the rock, you can recycle it in a large tub or another sterlite. Just add some pure ammonia and let nature do it's thing. The only downside is you wouldn't be able to add all your fish back right away, because bacteria levels probably wouldn't be enough to accommodate them all.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never set up a frag or holding setup for coral, so I appreciate the advice. I've got a few old tanks (2x10g and my top off tank, standard 29g). Might have to go that route after vacation. Just would probably rely on WC every week for Alk and Cal.

I might try the petco $1 gallon sale just for one or two 40g breeders. It'd be nice just to remove the old 55g sump and add twin plumbed 40g breeder sumps.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never set up a frag or holding setup for coral, so I appreciate the advice. I've got a few old tanks (2x10g and my top off tank, standard 29g). Might have to go that route after vacation. Just would probably rely on WC every week for Alk and Cal.

I might try the petco $1 gallon sale just for one or two 40g breeders. It'd be nice just to remove the old 55g sump and add twin plumbed 40g breeder sumps.

Below is a pic of my 29 gal frag tank. I just use a 4-bulb T5 fixture, Koralia powerhead, HOB powerfilter, heater, rock/sand and frag rack. Of course, you'll probably want to have better lighting since you keep SPS. Maybe a Maxspect Razor or something? The only thing I would change is get a 40 breeder if you've got the room.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup there. Gonna have to pull something like that off. Probably use a par38 to start with and find a clip on mh.

What's your opinion on the fuge and cycling a tank? Basically do I let it run during or after the cycle? It's full of Caulerpa

Also, one fish a week after the 73 day seem logical on the bio load or should I go longer (2-4 weeks in between adding the fish back)?

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your yellow belly Regal! Sorry to hear about the ich breakout, but glad to see you are treating your fish in QT rather than just trying to manage it. You (and your fish) will be happier in the long run.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your opinion on the fuge and cycling a tank? Basically do I let it run during or after the cycle? It's full of Caulerpa

I would just let it continue to run. The only problem is the caulerpa may die without any nutrients in the water, so I would ghost feed every 3-4 days. The other option would be to move it over to the frag tank (ex: HOB fuge) for the time being.

Also, one fish a week after the 73 day seem logical on the bio load or should I go longer (2-4 weeks in between adding the fish back)?

One fish a week should work. Just keep a close eye on the ammonia in case of a mini-cycle. And a bottle of Prime on hand. ;)

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your yellow belly Regal! Sorry to hear about the ich breakout, but glad to see you are treating your fish in QT rather than just trying to manage it. You (and your fish) will be happier in the long run.
Thanks M&T.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just let it continue to run. The only problem is the caulerpa may die without any nutrients in the water, so I would ghost feed every 3-4 days. The other option would be to move it over to the frag tank (ex: HOB fuge) for the time being.

One fish a week should work. Just keep a close eye on the ammonia in case of a mini-cycle. And a bottle of Prime on hand. ;)
Ok. Maybe throw the frags in there since it's the same water, has plenty if flow. I could shut of DT water and swap out the fuge par light foe the par38 full spectrum. Thoughts, thoughts and more.

Good deal on the 1 fish a week. I live prime too. Thanks again

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the nem. Terrible looking but still wandering and attached to the cage.

uploadfromtaptalk1437685213859.jpeg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it bad or a serious issue when your on vacation and your thinking about your fish or coral on vacation? Even when you've had some JD or Crown?
I can't stop thinking while lying in bed and considering methane blue and a fw dip on my fish when I get back. All this on top of a total redo on the 240!! I have issues, lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back