SB Reef Lights (LEDs) vs Metal Halides

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to build out a new 75 gallon mixed reef tank. In considering my options around Lighting, I would like to hear from some Reefers who have experience with both the SB Reef Lights LEDs and Metal Halides.

1). Which provides the most effective lighting for growing and maintaining corals in mixed reef tank ?

2). Which will cost less over the long run ?

3). Which produces the best "looking" tank when you're simply looking at the tank and you want to "see" all the different colors of your corals ?

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the two. I'll tell you right now hands down it be SB Reeflights. It may cost $500 doe the 32" extreme wifi but no bulbs to change out and no heat problem. Also you can tune the light to what you need and like.

The MH

IMG_0856.JPG

The SB

IMG_0225.JPG

The only thing is the SB doesn't photograph well because of the UV and Blue.

OP
OP
J

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... that's good to know. I probably will not pay extra for the WIFI model. I'm looking at the 32" SBox Pro Timer model which is $299.

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant argue with the tested and true growing power of MH bulbs. If you like that blue color you can opt for something like the Radium 20k bulbs which put out an extremely "clean" and crisp blue hue of full spectrum light.

That being said I have a lot of great experience with the SB reef lights also...so guess what.

I run them both! lol. See my build thread. Honestly both great options.

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things that I do not like about MH is the heat generated by them and that you must replace them consistently.

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things that I do not like about MH is the heat generated by them and that you must replace them consistently.

If by consistently you mean once every year? Then yeah most likely.

With a dual set up, like I run, I have the halide come on only for the corresponding times the sun is highest - a 3 hour period from 1200 to 1500.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal halides are dirt cheap on local forums. Long term they may be more expensive, but if you can score one cheap it may be worth it. I'm pretty sure you could get it to nice 250 w mh for 150 and with bulb you're at 200 and change, but leds definitely have more control over color etc... Any reason you're not looking at t5s? Bulk reef supply did not nice video on their 52 weeks of reefing comparing them all.

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sb reef light 32 pro timer.
I also have 3 sets of halides and ballasts.
Biggest drawback for halides for me is the heat generated, they can be very problematic in the summer.
Another drawback is what type of reflectors or how they are mounted.
If you don't have a commercially built fixture you pretty much have to figure out how to build one that looks good or do what most people do and hide them in a canopy, which is where the heat problem really shows itself .
Another drawback is your taste in color, I went thru more than a few bulb combinations along with supplemental lighting to get the desired color while still getting acceptable growth.
Bulbs ain't cheap, expect to pay anywhere from 50-80 dollars for bulbs every 7-12 months.
Also something to take into consideration is what type ballast you are going to use, not all bulbs fire on every ballast and not every bulb comes in 175-250-400 watt.
Ya gotta really think about what your doing otherwise you'll be selling bulbs and ballasts on eBay because it just isn't working for you.
Back to my sb reef light, I think it grows coral as well as any halide bulb and t5 combo I've seen.
It's simple and cheap and I like the way it makes my tank look.

OP
OP
J

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sb reef light 32 pro timer.
I also have 3 sets of halides and ballasts.
Biggest drawback for halides for me is the heat generated, they can be very problematic in the summer.
Another drawback is what type of reflectors or how they are mounted.
If you don't have a commercially built fixture you pretty much have to figure out how to build one that looks good or do what most people do and hide them in a canopy, which is where the heat problem really shows itself .
Another drawback is your taste in color, I went thru more than a few bulb combinations along with supplemental lighting to get the desired color while still getting acceptable growth.
Bulbs ain't cheap, expect to pay anywhere from 50-80 dollars for bulbs every 7-12 months.
Also something to take into consideration is what type ballast you are going to use, not all bulbs fire on every ballast and not every bulb comes in 175-250-400 watt.
Ya gotta really think about what your doing otherwise you'll be selling bulbs and ballasts on eBay because it just isn't working for you.
Back to my sb reef light, I think it grows coral as well as any halide bulb and t5 combo I've seen.
It's simple and cheap and I like the way it makes my tank look.

Yea... I'm leaning more and more towards the SB Reef Lights. I've heard good things about them.

zsuzsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing since we used to make our skimmers and you couldn't get real equipment anywhere and I 'll tell you I have and still use radions (g3,g4 both pros), supplemented with ati blue plus, ive had kessils (basically useless if water is over 12 inches deep) and my frag tank has a 250 watt mh radium 20 k over it . Nothing compares to the mh radium tank as far as health , growth and overall ease of Care. Btw I run the radium 9hrs per day and the average usable lifespan is about 17 months. (electronic ballast) Can't beat German quality... or radiums. Good luck. Zsu

Last edited:

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing since we used to make our skimmers and you couldn't get real equipment anywhere and I 'll tell you I have and still use radions (g3,g4 both pros), supplemented with ati blue plus, ive had kessils (basically useless if water is over 12 inches deep) and my frag tank has a 250 watt mh radium 20 k over it . Nothing compares to the mh radium tank as far as health , growth and overall ease of Care. Btw I run the radium 9hrs per day and the average usable lifespan is about 17 months. (electronic ballast) Can't beat German quality... or radiums. Good luck. Zsu

Agreed - 90 dollars a year is real cheap comparatively speaking I think, no?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... that's good to know. I probably will not pay extra for the WIFI model. I'm looking at the 32" SBox Pro Timer model which is $299.
I have that exact model....my coral growth exploded under them. I had t12 at first. Amazing color....my dull zoas colored up fast and nicely amd the grew insanely...my leptos grew very fast....amd my zoas did amazing. My colony of birdsnest is doing amazing as well...

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Kessil with Halide. I'm a huge fan of using both tech.
f6a624113f0c79d86481f3c5d025ad53.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI The only difference between SBreef lights and other WIFI black box designs are a few LED upgrades that can easily be achieved with a soldering iron and lens swaps. If you are comfortable with doing that, you could save hundred or so and get the same outcome.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI The only difference between SBreef lights and other WIFI black box designs are a few LED upgrades that can easily be achieved with a soldering iron and lens swaps. If you are comfortable with doing that, you could save hundred or so and get the same outcome.
Have to figure out what exact leds sb is using though...that could be the hard part...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to figure out what exact leds sb is using though...that could be the hard part...
Actually, on their website, they have diode layout charts with individual spectrums posted with each light they sell.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go t5 it's like the perfect balance. Little to No shading, plug and play success with all corals, multiple bulb combos give you the color you're looking for, etc. t5 fixtures are fairly cheap too. Bulb costs suck but so does over lighting with leds

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go t5 it's like the perfect balance. Little to No shading, plug and play success with all corals, multiple bulb combos give you the color you're looking for, etc. t5 fixtures are fairly cheap too. Bulb costs suck but so does over lighting with leds
Agreed. But ya cost of bulbs suck. Best to keep leds low and slowly ramp them up. Corals need to be acclimated to leds.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back