SB Reef Lights

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably going to be placing my order today or this weekend for an upgrade board, good to know I can get this spread on my 16"! Will most likely upgrade later but this is plenty for now! I have the Galaxy Hydro unit though and wasn't sure if I needed to swap any wire clips or not? I have 3 wires connected to my current LED board.

Thanks!
Salt
Normally the boards will have 2 pairs of wires, one at each end. A black and a red on each side, that is it. If you have 3 sets of wires it may be a 3 channel board with moonlight. Which model Galaxy hydro do you have? Or better yet post up or send me a picture of your board with the wires before you order. I want to make sure it will work for you. The only lights we have found that they will not work with are 3-channel boards since you obviously would lose the moonlight channel, though the boards would still work. The diodes that would normally be in your third channel would instead be part of the blue Channel.

The only other light the board has not worked with are the Evergrow and Galaxy hydro Wi-Fi lights. For some reason that manufacturer decided to put the Wi-Fi chips directly onto the board rather than as a separate unit. So if your Wi-Fi goes out you have to replace the entire unit, and if you're board goes out you have to replace the entire unit. Since our PCB board would not include the Wi-Fi chips, it would not work for those units.

Long story short, contact me before you order and let's make sure it's going to work for you.

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally the boards will have 2 pairs of wires, one at each end. A black and a red on each side, that is it. If you have 3 sets of wires it may be a 3 channel board with moonlight. Which model Galaxy hydro do you have? Or better yet post up or send me a picture of your board with the wires before you order. I want to make sure it will work for you. The only lights we have found that they will not work with are 3-channel boards since you obviously would lose the moonlight channel, though the boards would still work. The diodes that would normally be in your third channel would instead be part of the blue Channel.

The only other light the board has not worked with are the Evergrow and Galaxy hydro Wi-Fi lights. For some reason that manufacturer decided to put the Wi-Fi chips directly onto the board rather than as a separate unit. So if your Wi-Fi goes out you have to replace the entire unit, and if you're board goes out you have to replace the entire unit. Since our PCB board would not include the Wi-Fi chips, it would not work for those units.

Long story short, contact me before you order and let's make sure it's going to work for you.

Sounds good, sent you a PM.

Thanks!
Salt

ZR440

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I decided to set the white & blue both to approx. 65%. This combination looks nice too and has great color balance. My tank is a 56 gal. tall, almost a cube. The lights are in a canopy approx. 4 inches off of the water. I realize this is not an ideal height, but my canopy does not allow for increased height.

IMG_2905.jpg

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I decided to set the white & blue both to approx. 65%. This combination looks nice too and has great color balance. My tank is a 56 gal. tall, almost a cube. The lights are in a canopy approx. 4 inches off of the water. I realize this is not an ideal height, but my canopy does not allow for increased height.

IMG_2905.jpg

856 gallon is 36 inches by 18 inches correct? With to Lights I think you're just fine at your height. Especially since the optics are mixed on my lights. I figured you would like the look with them closer to even. Since the white channel has more blue in it it allows you to keep it at a higher level giving you the needed red spectrum, while not over saturating with warm white.

ZR440

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions of my 56 gal. dimensions are 30 wide, 18 deep and 22 tall. I played around with the white/blue balance, and "even" is perfect. Each week, I am going to try and ramp up the total percentage, and see what happens. For those of you reading this post now and in the future, I couldn't be happier with my SB reef lights. How could I be so stupid.....for the past two years I have been replacing t5 bulbs in my ATI 6 bulb, every 6 months. In total $480 to keep the lights operating at an optimum level. And for the last two months before replacing, the increased algae bloom I experienced was a PITA.

MatsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got each channel set around 10% and will work it up slowly. The old lights were 16w total which would keep things alive but no actual growth.

trickyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take full responsibility for under estameting the power of the LED lights..<br /><br /><br />
6bc90fc6a6ee902ea0ebea74b39f4e0d.jpg
<br /><br />new lights are very strong this was at 60% for three days notice it didn't looks happy this is 6 days after moving to lower light, litteraly melted the top off of my baby ... Oddly the babies and other mushrooms took the new light better than the big momma bounce lost probably 45% and the largest of the bubbles on it. <br /><br />Also some scorched sps <br />
0e30bf86c8c7cd8824d8524547f69721.jpg
<br /><br />Dropped the light intensinity down from about from 60 to 35.. Will work back up over TIME<br /><br /> THANKS FOR THE AWASOME LIGHTS!!!

Zachman99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8735ca03a5a29959d0acf2d884599a87.jpg

I'm maxing mine out at 40% each channel. This is replacing an ocean revive t247 that I moved back to the frag tank. It was at 75 blue and 35 white. Hopefully I didn't start too high :)

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I set mine on the same settings I had my Galaxyhydro on (80/55) and fried a couple frags. Took them down to 50/25 and everything is much happier. Will gradually increase over the next few months.

Powerful lights these are.

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to hear! Waiting for mine to come in. Does anyone in this forum use the reef Angel controller? I was wondering about controlling these lights with a real time day/moon cycle program. Any feedback would be superb!!

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my lights at 65% blues 45% whites 100% moons. Ramp up to those settings over a two hour period and then ramp down the same. I have seen great growth and coloration in my corals. I have found that not all corals like the LEDs, maybe it is intensity or perhaps the slight peak spectral shift from the MH to the LEDs. Not sure, but those are few and the SPS seem to be flourishing.

I have mine inside a canopy mounted 4-5 inches above the waters surface. Didn't have an option as the wife wants the canopy to stay on. So I am looking to figure out a little supplementation to help. I could take the optics off, but I don't want to change the baseline for my corals by altering the lights. Still a work in progress.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back