Scared of my tank

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all are going to think I am being ridiculous (I probably am), but I have just found out that zoas can be deadly and that bristleworms can sting. I have both of these in my little BioCube. I'm really freaked out now, especially about the zoas, since I mess around in the tank and get water all over, and I have a kid and a dog who might possibly come in contact with the water.

I think for my own peace of mind, I need to get rid of my zoas. [emoji20] I don't think they have grown onto the rocks yet, but I did glue the frags.

What's the best way to remove them from the rocks? Or should I get rid of the rocks they're on entirely? If I get rid of the rocks, it's about 1/3 of my rock work in the tank--how can I prevent messing up my cycle and harming my fish and inverts?

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep breath....

Relax...........

Namaste.........

OMG nuke the tank hurry!!!!

Ur zoas will be fine as long as they are stress free and ur parameters are good. Yes zoas are deadly only when mishandled. Do not try to cut them off the rock if they are indeed attach. That would be mishandling. I would just relax and let the tank be. Look how many systems have zoas. Almost all of them. So relax and enjoy them.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dau gave me a frag of zoas and polyps. I was a bit freaked too but since, I just use gloves, with rubber bands at the wrists, to handle them. I think if you're smart and careful, it's not a big issue. There are tons of people who have them. do more research into them. I plan to print out the zoaanthins toxin thing in case I ever have to go to emergency. If I can find it again... But basically, I only glove up if i am handling the frag.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dau gave me a frag of zoas and polyps. I was a bit freaked too but since, I just use gloves, with rubber bands at the wrists, to handle them. I think if you're smart and careful, it's not a big issue. There are tons of people who have them. do more research into them. I plan to print out the zoaanthins toxin thing in case I ever have to go to emergency. If I can find it again... But basically, I only glove up if i am handling the frag.
You've made an interesting point I've never even considered .. if I got ill I don't think I would ever have put it down too my corals .. I'm only now just realizing that I must take more precautions.( even if it just means wearing gloves ) or more aware of what I'm doing or touching .. and maybe also keep a list of the toxins from my corals that I have ..

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is Palythoas and Protopalythoas that are dangerous. I am trying to get rid of all of them from my tanks.
The poison is the most expensiv thing they have so they dont spill it if they dont have to. The poison will also breakdown in the tank.
So as long as nobody touch them you can be calm. When I handle them I use double gloves ( long insemination gloves and thick on the hands) and carbon filtered breathing mask.
Last time I did a clean out I got poisoned anyway. I apparently spilled tank water on my trousers and the legs did get swollen. It was an area about the size of my hand on each leg. So I went to the hospital for checkup and I had normal temperature but raised pulse, about 105 instead of 70. In four hours at the hospital, 10 hours after the cleanout the pulse was going down and I went home. Just because of a little water left on my trousers that dried up by itself. The next time I will have my rain trousers that does not leak and rubber boots on.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms only sting if you grab them. Don't worry about them and watch where you put your hands when you're picking things up.

Plays aren't that scary. Don't make them slime up out of the tank, use carbon if they do it in tank for whatever reason. Don't frag them outside of the water.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hit with bristles and never even knew it until later. I realize we all have different level of pain tolerance, but the "sting" is very insignificant and being scratched by a feather duster tube hurts worse. It's not a "real sting".

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where you are coming form, having small grandchildren that love my tanks, too.

All of these toxins are produced by the Zoas and Palys as protection. Unless a child (or pet) reached into the tank and physically touched them, or grabbed one and ate it, they should be fine. Use the cautions mentioned (eye protection if handling, keep them in the water) they are not outwardly dangerous.

Bristleworms like to hide from the light, so unless your child is digging in the sand, or playing with the rocks, no issue there as well.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cat doesn't plot my death. She simply considers me her cat worshipper and she is the goddess. Of course I named her Hera, so that may have added to her God complex...

And if I died she wouldn't have someone to turn on her water at the perfect flow so she can drink directly from it...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am more concerned with electricity and water! :p

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I've learned. Don't let them squirt you in the eye when you frag them, and *** don't try to boil them off of your rocks in a poorly ventilated kitchen (Google that story if you want to freak out).

Bristle worms kinda freak me out too, but fortunately I only have little guys in my tank. I haven't run into any of the mutant 12" long ones, and I pray that I never will.

Russelm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It never dawned on me till now I guess. I have handled all my zoas moving them around with bare hands and have had no problems. I will be more careful in the future

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you SO much for all of your replies, all!! It is much appreciated.

I think my lesson here will be to wear proper gear when messing with my tank, to not mess with the zoas, and to be more careful all around!

I guess my question now is, can my zoas release the toxin if, say, my tuxedo urchin is messing with them?? And then would that make the water dangerous to my other animals and myself?

govolsguy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you SO much for all of your replies, all!! It is much appreciated.

I think my lesson here will be to wear proper gear when messing with my tank, to not mess with the zoas, and to be more careful all around!

I guess my question now is, can my zoas release the toxin if, say, my tuxedo urchin is messing with them?? And then would that make the water dangerous to my other animals and myself?
From what I've read, I think it's only really an issue if they're pulled out of water and either burned or cut in half (like what could happen during fraging) and the toxin is inhaled. I do vaguely remember one poster saying he was in his tank and was messing with a bunch of them and had a little tingling in his fingers that went away after a few minutes. Think he soaked them in vinegar.

As has been posted above, I would bet 90% of tanks have zoas in them. If your urchin really makes them mad, you can see them ooze. Run carbon and the water will be fine. There's only a slim chance yours are toxic to begin with, and even if they are, that diluted of an amount probably isn't going to make a difference regardless.

That, or you're welcome to ship those babies to me. ;):cool::D

Back