Scffvariables's 225 DSA build

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally starting to plan out my upgrade. Existing 40b has been up and running for over a year with great growth. I have been on the site for a while and thought the upgrade was a great time to start a build thread. Without further adieu the initial equipment list.....

Tank DSA 225 PRO 72x27x27 center overflow with three 1" drains and two 3/4" returns
Sump Custom 48x20x18 filter socks, refugium, frag
Lights Pacific Sun Pandora S-4 145wx4 LED and 4x80 T5
Skimmer Warner Marine MF 181 Kone ** to be upgraded when needed
Return Jebao DC12000 DC pump **
Flow 2 1" Sea Swirls supplemented with Jebao WP-25** or Vortechs** (still in research)
Calcium Rx GEO 612 **
Media Rx Skimz FM100 **
Controller Apex lite, 2 EB8, VDM, WXM, LSM, Breakout Box **
Sand SSB with Tropic Eden Reeflakes
Rock BRS Reef Saver and Pukani **

** items are already acquired

The Tank will be a mixed reef heavy on the SPS as I have gotten bit pretty hard by the bug :tongue:

Still trying to decide if a couple Sea Swirls with the Jebao DC12000 will be sufficient flow or if I will need to supplement it. I have 3 MP10's on my 40b and love the flow, just hate the noise!! Also have two new in the box Jebao WP25 that I could use. I am really trying to keep everything really nice and clean looking so trying to stay away from a bunch of PH's in the display. My concern with the Sea Swirls is I do not want to run too much flow through the sump. One option would be to use my Speedwave DC 790gph pump for the return using the factory 2 x 3/4" and using the DC12000 as a closed loop with 2 or 4 Sea Swirls. That would keep flow through the sump down while having great random flow in the display. I am open to any thoughts or ideas, would like to hear from some Sea Swirl users.

I already have the WM skimmer and will use that until I decide on a replacement. Been looking at the Diablo DCS200 , the new Skimz DC skimmers as well as others. I really like the DC pumps so that would be my first choice.

For lighting I really wanted to go LED on this build, but still like my T5's so the Pac Sun looks perfect. Definitely pricey, but it really sounds like they have done some great research and have been having terrific success with SPS colors and growth with the new SMT cores. I have done DIY LEDs as well as the AI Sols and Vegas with varying degrees of success/happiness. I think for the money the Pac Sun is a pretty good value. If you add up the equivalent number of Radions or Hydra 52's plus a 4 80w T5 retro and you are preety much in the same ballpark.

I will DIY the stand along the sidewall of my home theater (the reason noise is a concern). The stand will be flanked by two side units with storage in the bottom half (one side ATO tank, other side electronics) and shelving on the top.

Inspiration for the stand
IMG_0141.JPG

I am still designing the sump but the initial plan is as follows. Using a Beananimal drain into a filter sock, next to skimmer compartment, then to the fuge, then to the frag compartment and finally the return section. Looks like I can get this all done in the 48" length using a raceway design for the fuge and frag area. I have a spare AI SOL I can use for lighting. I have a dedicated 33l in the fish room for frags, but wanted a place to keep fresh cut frags in the system but out of the display. The lighting will run reverse of the DT so should also help with stabilizing PH.

STOCK LIST

Fish coming over from existing system
Tailspot Blenny
2 Green Chromis
Sailfin Tang
Flame fin Tang
Yellow Tang
Snowflake Clown
Orange spot goby (maybe re-homed)
Chalk Bass

Additional fish will consist mostly of flasher wrasses and Anthias. I prefer the look of many smaller reef fishes.

Recent FTS of my 40b
IMG_0357.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to offer suggestions or advise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few bumps in the road. My mother passed away unexpectedly and being an only child had a ton of estate issues to deal with, promotional testing at work, my wife's busy school schedule and my constantly running 2 1/2 y/o son!

Tank plans changed a bit. I found a used Marineland 250 DD locally and purchased his remaining livestock and tank. I picked up the corals and fish 2 weeks ago and going to pick up the tank tomorrow.

Got my stand built. Went with a 2x stand based of RE's plans on RC. Got everything cut, drilled and painted and then assembled the stand in its final spot since it would not fit otherwise.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394258394.289314.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394258422.494174.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394258446.196317.jpg

I finally got the 40b broken down and everything moved over to a temporary 70g cube.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394258645.372545.jpg

LIGHTING
Thinking about going with the GHL Mitras and add 2 pairs of t5's instead of the PAC SUN fixture.

SKIMMER
Got a great deal on a used Lifereef SV24 and will use that until my stocking levels require me to upgrade and will most likely go to the 30" model.

LIVESTOCK acquired from the 250DD purchase
Red Sea sail fin tang
Midas blenny
ORA black assessor
Pair of Hawaiian flame wrasses
Pair of yellow neon gobies
Also picked up all his remaining corals, some nice pieces, just need some trimming and coloring back up.

Pics of some of the corals
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394259132.531717.jpg

Will upload tank pics tomorrow night!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe I started this upgrade back in 2013. Well plans changed again. We sold our house and moved back in November of 2014. The new house has a great 1st floor office for my tank and room directly below for a fish room.

Pic of new house!
IMG_0023.JPG

So fast forward to last winter. Found a great deal on a brand new 180g marineland in Fargo so rented a uhaul trailer and made the journey in a snow storm to pick up the tank.

Pic of new tank sitting on custom oak stand.
IMG_1509.JPG

With a ton of projects around the house the fish room and tank had to take an a backseat for a while.

This last summer I finally had some time to start the fish room in the basement.

IMG_1502.JPG

Starting with a blank canvas. Plan is for cabinets and sink on the left, water storage and mixing in the back corner and stand on the right for the sump for the 180g and my 80g frag tank.

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

Water storage and mixing.

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More work in the fish room.

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

Decided to move the position of the swap and the frag tank

IMG_2032.JPG

Room as it sits today. Not 100% done, but functional.

Image1484939623.640150.jpg

Image1484939680.646963.jpg

Image1484939719.608960.jpg

Image1484939774.982226.jpg

Image1484939816.422854.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible set up and system, I have never seen an aquarium room so clean. You've got to be an engineer in real life.

Did you build the stand? It's beautiful.

What lighting types are you going to go with?

OP
OP
S

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible set up and system, I have never seen an aquarium room so clean. You've got to be an engineer in real life.

Did you build the stand? It's beautiful.

What lighting types are you going to go with?

Thanks! Not an engineer by any stretch, just trying to make it organized.

My day job tends to be much less organized.

IMG_2071.JPG

I purchased the stand from a fellow reefer who was upgrading. It has a matching canopy as well and I am making some modifications to.

OP
OP
S

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to get the display tank aquascaped and plumbed early December.

IMG_1976.JPG

Rock is mostly BRS reef saver, a little Pukani and a couple shelf pieces.

IMG_1978.JPG

My son "helping" design the rock work.

IMG_1983.JPG

And the final result.

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

Canopy installed with 2 Mitras LX6200HV and 4 bulb T5 retro fit. Will be adding a third Mitras.

IMG_2005.JPG

Filled and cycling.

IMG_2190.JPG

OP
OP
S

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple pics of my 80g deep blue frag tank. Lighting is handled by a Tek elite 6 bulb T5 fixture, 2 seaswirls on the quite one 4000 return pump, 2 mp10wes pumps, Reef Octopus 1000sss skimmer and a Neptune apex for control.

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

One of my favs!!

IMG_0103.JPG

OP
OP
S

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been getting a lot of noise from my filter socks so decided to build some silencers tonight.

Image1484967958.549009.jpg

Image1484968008.954721.jpg

Just finished up my second one, will finish up the third one tomorrow.

What a difference in noise, unbelievable!

OP
OP
S

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks All.

Moved my yellow and sailfin tang and the purple gramma from the frag tank to the display.

Finished up the other two silencers for the filter socks, works great.

Went to the LFS yesterday and picked up a small hippo tang. Unfortunately when we got home he was floating in the bag and barely hanging on. Tried acclimating him, but didn't make it.

Also picked up a couple easy SPS frags to test the system before I start collecting tine nice ones. $$$$. Super excited to start growing sticks again!

Last project yesterday was adding an outside air source for my skimmers. PVC hard plumped from my fresh air intake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scffvariable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update.

Moved a nice Lubbock wrasse and purple firefish from qt to the display yesterday.

Picked up a small hippo tang a little over a week ago. He is doing some solo time in the frag system before getting moved to main tank.

Also picked up a nice little leopard wrasse and red line wrasse.

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

Lastly my third mitras lx6200hv showed up today so will get that mounted tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back