Scott's 270g aka Project Mayhem

Dropped

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir have built some impressive tanks, I love that you have both SW and FW.

Any more info on that FW tank?

And yea i signed up to the site just for this thread!

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir have built some impressive tanks, I love that you have both SW and FW.

Any more info on that FW tank?

And yea i signed up to the site just for this thread!

Wow, thanks Dropped! The freshwater is pretty simple at the moment. A 48g hagen malaysian driftwood planted tank. It has some local bred harlequin rasboras. They have a beautiful rosey copper back half, more so than most I see in the stores. A black ghost knife I have had for over 12 years. A couple clown loaches, a rhino nosed plecostomus, emperor tetras, queen arabesque pleco. It's as low maintenance as it gets :)

Feel free to ask anything else!

Dropped

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I showed the misses your double setup ( i have one as well, but only 30 gallon each) all she said was " we will need a bigger house" im taking that as permission to buy another house and new fish tanks haha.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the recirculation plumbing in place. Waiting for stores to open tomorrow so I can get an o-ring for one of my unions. Then I can run some water :)

i-jxsB2w5-L.jpg

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I was going to follow just for the project mayhem title but after looking through I'm loving the backroom

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. The original intent for me even starting a thread about my system was to have a cohesive collection of thoughts and ideas. The wealth of knowledge spread across the various forums is a goldmine. I guess I always hope that people will chime up with constructive criticism if they have any. That's the best thing I can gain from all of this.

This build involved a lot of planning :) I have an end game vision for the system and I am getting closer to achieving it. After that hopefully it's just tweaking and livestock changes. Then even more of the waiting game for it to become a mature system.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pump hooked up but am contemplating only running it 5 minutes every hour. I don't see the need to run it 24/7. Any opinions? I don't think the water will stagnate in that amount of time.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have:

helfrichi firefish
candy basslet
royal gramma
yellow tang
2 x golden rhomboid
magnificent foxface
peppermint hogfish
blue star leopard wrasse

The peppermint killed 3 red sea ventralis anthias and a golden rhomboid so he was taken out and is in detention.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 15 berghia nudi's to my tank to try and deal with a bad aptasia problem I am currently having. I am hoping that when I get back home after two weeks of work I may be able to see a difference but I don't feel it will happen that quick. It's going to take some breeding before there are enough to do the job. Plus my wrasses will probably be jerks and eat my investment. After this it may be filefish time or something along those lines.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Nudi didn't help with my parasitic nems :/

floridafinestreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't help me either I have too many wrasse but I am going to take out all my aggressive tangs and add two butterflies and a couple of filefish

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia nudi's have worked for me in the past, hence giving them a shot again. But now I have more wrasses so I may run into the same issue as you two have.

floridafinestreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It suchs it's getting bad think I'm taking my tangs out for some copperband's and aiptasia eating file fish this weekend theres 14 wrasses in this tank so berghia nudi's won't work they will found them and eat them and those nudi's are not cheap

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the emarco cement I wanted to get some more arches and plateaus but so be it. It leaves room for the sps to grow :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back