Sea horse greaving.

Pewmichael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I lost my female sea horse yesterday but I was amazed to see the male for the first time hanging on to her and looked like he was trying to make her move, it looked like he was greaving. Very sad to see. He was with her for about 40min then let go. These two weren't a pair.
Has anyone else witnessed this behavior.
Regards.

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I lost my female sea horse yesterday but I was amazed to see the male for the first time hanging on to her and looked like he was trying to make her move, it looked like he was greaving. Very sad to see. He was with her for about 40min then let go. These two weren't a pair.
Has anyone else witnessed this behavior.
Regards.
My male was always more sentimental than my female. When I put him in a HT he would go off his food and not even eat live shrimp. My female on the other hand never misses a meal. Fortunately for me if one of them was going to get sick, in my case it was my male. Had it been the other way around I would have probably lost both ponies but they were a mated pair of 2 years.
She did fine alone in her tank for a month and a half until I got my kid ponies.

JHuneke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear your problems now passed :( I honestly have noticed this,one pair I had for years that bred frequently ,was sadly parted when the female passed. For over a month the male went dark, hid constantly, even off of his feedings.. it broke my heart. He slowly came around a few weeks after I added some new ponies. But he de definitely grieved her loss.

OP
OP
Pewmichael

Pewmichael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sad to see this especially when they were only together for two months and definitely not a item. This makes me wonder if they are all social creatures and don't need to be paired to show emotions.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sad to see this especially when they were only together for two months and definitely not a item. This makes me wonder if they are all social creatures and don't need to be paired to show emotions.
Even when they are not mated pairs I think they care about all the ponies they live with. They are very social creatures.

PAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept 8 seahorses in a 70 gallon tank. When one would die the others would gather in a circle around the deceased. It was sad and beautiful all at the same time.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow. I never would have expected this kind of behavior. It's amazing to see such social nature in such small creatures.

OP
OP
Pewmichael

Pewmichael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately my male horse died yesterday. He pretty much stopped eating after the female died. I've come to the conclusion that seahorses need to be in groups to thrive. These weren't a pair, she didn't like him and never stayed close to him. Water parameters all good at time of death.
Regards.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back