Seachem martrixs vs marine pure votes opinions

Leggmantn2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious what everyone uses and your opinions. Both have great reviews but matrixs is alot cheaper.

OP
OP
Leggmantn2015

Leggmantn2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its bilogical filtration media that can be used instead of having excessive amounts of live rock. It has extremely high surface area to colinize bacteria for ammonia nitrite and even reduce nitrates. Use it in you sump and or a reactor.

OP
OP
Leggmantn2015

Leggmantn2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its bilogical filtration media that can be used instead of having excessive amounts of live rock. It has extremely high surface area to colinize bacteria for ammonia nitrite and even reduce nitrates. Use it in you sump and or a reactor.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are both the same exact thing......just different brand.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both. In order to get anaerobic growing and reducing nitrates, they need to have pretty low flow, unless you go with the blocks just sitting in your sump. I have the spheres in my sump and I'm giving matrix a try in a BRS reactor with about 30-50 gph flow. I started using them because I had minimal aquascape and barebottom, for awhile. I recently added more rock and some larger crushed coral / shell mix, because I had zip for microfauna. In the 2 months that I have been running the matrix in a low flow reactor, I haven't noticed any nitrates, but I have also been more religious with my water changes. So I can't say they are reducing nitrates or not, but I'll keep them online because they certainly aren't hurting anything.

I have had the spheres in my system for roughly 2 years, but I only purchased one box and not sure that they actually ever reduced nitrates, to any significant degree. What I love about the spheres is, when I set up a new tank I grab 3 or 4 and toss in the new tank, instant cycled... But, you could get that from rock or live sand. To each his own, I guess. I've seen some pretty nice tanks running Marine Pure blocks, using them for nitrate reduction, so in theory, they do work.

Reeflogic