View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430832946.525171.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430832998.868927.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430833029.637750.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430833107.204692.jpg

I LOVE these! The one with the nudibranch is AWESOME! That one should make its way onto a t-shirt! Ha!

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I was amazed by the video. It was cool and funny at the same time. It looks like he was sneezing so hard that he squeezed the babies out of himself. but it sure is amazing at the same time. Loving your thread here. I love all the pictures of your horsies :)

-YK

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump for more pics!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a pic of my seahorse tank. I have had my ponies for a year now and have made a few mistakes but have learned a lot. This tank is a result of that learning process.

JHuneke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a pic of my seahorse tank. I have had my ponies for a year now and have made a few mistakes but have learned a lot. This tank is a result of that learning process.

I live those bright yellow zoas! Never seen them so pretty.. Any certain name?

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and my gf wanted it in the tank!!! I might put some zoo's on it!!! What corals are in yours?
I thought maybe your figurine was in the tank. Originally I bought mine to also put it in the tank but then as I made my tank more natural looking I decided to put the figurine on top instead.

I started with mushrooms, gsp, blue clove polyps and leathers. Then added pagoda cups, caps, gorgs, and recently zoas, a green slimer and a bird of paradise birdsnest. When I had my seahorse tank connected via the sump to my reef tank I learned that most corals will tolerate 70 degree water. So if a coral is seahorse safe and I think it is a sturdy enough specimen that I won't kill, I give it a try.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live those bright yellow zoas! Never seen them so pretty.. Any certain name?
Thank you! They are just a colony of yellow polyps. I think they are a very common easy coral, maybe in the zoa family? I love them too for that splash of color. It contrasts nicely with the splashes of red from my macro algaes.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses have some special needs. I hesitate to say that they are hard to care for HOWEVER to have long term success those needs must be met.

1. First need is they are very vulnerable to bacteria and that can not be tested with any aquarium tests kits. So that must be kept in check
A. By maintaining excellant husbandry practices, (Frequent water changes, wiping surfaces of tank, cleaning filter socks or pads every 3 days and generally not allowing detritus to build up anywhere since nasty bacteria can then grow there). Protein skimmers help tremendously in keeping dissolved organics down which helps with inhibiting bacteria as well as reducing gas bubble disease.
B. By keeping the temperature at 74°F or below. (Nasty bacteria reproduces exponentially in temperatures over 75°.)
C. Don't over stock, (most keepers recommend 2 seahorses per 30 gallons). There are folks who keep more but the risk for disease increases.

2. Seahorses are best kept in a species specific tank.
(They can pick up pathogens from wild caught fish. Also they do not compete well for food with fast aggressive fish).

3. Captive bred seahorses although initially more costly are much more suited to aquarium life than wild caught seahorses. Also CB seahorses come trained to eat frozen mysis which is much more accessible than live food that wild caught seahorses need. All seahorses need 2-3 feedings a day. This means vacationing must be well thought out.

4. Seahorses should be kept in well aerated tanks.

This is far from everything you would need to know about seahorses but it gives you an idea of their special needs.
I will say that they are exquisite charming creatures that can really capture your heart. That makes them worth the trouble.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back