Seahorse fry have arrived!!!

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So simple enough, I go to feed my seahorses today and what do you know, there are a few dozen seahorse fry floating around the tank.
53390.jpeg

Of course i wasn't completely prepared but within about 4 hours or so I had them out of the main tank and into their own "tank"
20170102_181756.jpg

I hope they will be OK. I used a cup and a turkey baster to move them out of the display. I have an air line in the bowl they are in, a fake plant for them to hang on to and I have added live rotifers. I also have a culture of rotifers going now in another bowl, but will be moving that into a bigger tank tomorrow pm if all goes as planned.

I'm open to any advice or questions and I will keep you up to date.

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I checked on them this morning half thinking they'd be dead, but all were doing well I added more rotifers although since the rotifers are so tiny it's hard to tell if any were eaten or if I needed to add more.

DebbieCorker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a bit of success bringing fry up. It depends on species but newly hatched baby brine tend to be favourites to eat. They'll die about day 4 -5 if not eating. Main issue is to keep them from the surface. Put a light at base of the tank. They need a lot of food. I tend to water change every other day n use live rock. Best of luck n don't expect much from first birth. Fry are smaller n weaker. It will however, get u ready for second birth.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back